She's Gone

"Until now, I've  excepted she was gone.
      She's been missing for a year now.  Everyone thinks she is... dead.  I don't like to think about it.  They never found the body.  I still somehow I think it's my fault.  After she disappeared, all my friends lost contacts with me.  Everyone thinks I've gone crazy because I think that she is still alive.  They say I'm in denial.  I'm depressed.  I've been to a therapist four times this month.   I, I don't know what to think.  One day she was here, and the next, she vanished.  Kaiyla was my best friend.  When she smiled she lit up the room.  Her eyes sparkled with a special light.  She was full of life.  And now she's-"
      Knock knock knock! 

      "Jason, sweetie, please come and eat your breakfast."

      "ok, mom."

      Jason  closed the journal tab and slammed his laptop shut.  he slid the laptop into his backpack with his school books.  Jason he laid down on his bed and closed his eyes.  Jason rolled over onto his side and hugged his pillow.  He stopped.  There was a scraping noise on his hardwood floor.  

       "That was weird." he thought.

       Jason sat up and heard the noise again.  This time, an envelope slid under the door.  He walked over to the envelope, not caring what was inside, but where the envelope came from.

       "The closet?"  Jason thought to himself.  "Wait, that's not right in any way, shape, or form."

       He backed away from the closet and sat on the edge of the bedspread.  It was a neat bedspread, with the milky way galaxy across the front.  Jason opened the letter and read what was inside. 

       "What is the date?" It read.

      "Seriously?  That's it?"  Jason thought about what it read and decided that it wouldn't hurt to answer.  "Well, it's January 9, 2017, right?"  He looked at his calendar.  "Yes it is.  Cool."

       The writing changed to say:  "What happened a year ago?"

       "Holy fart, it CHANGED.  What kind of sorcery is this?"

       "Jason, are you ok sweetie?" Jason's mom called.  "Your father wants to say goodbye before he leaves for work."

       "Yeah, I'm fine." Jason replied in a shaky voice.  I'm just getting ready for a great day of learning!"

       "Ok honey but come down quickly, your breakfast is getting cold!"

       Jason huffed and sat down to look again at the letter.  "What happened a year ago?" stared back up at him.  He thought about it and realized what the letter wanted him to say.
       "A year ago my amazing best friend Kaiyla vanished with- without a trace."  He choked out.  "Are you happy now?"  He whispered to the paper with tears in his eyes. 

       He sniffled and waited for the letter to change.  It did.  It now read:  "I miss you, too."   In a handwriting Jason hadn't seen in a long time.  it was the same on the many passed notes and school, on cards, on his heart.  The love of a friend long gone.  The handwriting was Kaiyla's.  Jason nearly died on the spot.  He then whispered into the paper.

       "Kaiyla?  Are you there?"

       "Your weird." 

       Jason jumped.  It was Jason's annoying older sister Charlotte. 

       "Lotte, you're not aloud in here!  Get out!" 

       "Whatever."  Lotte said with a grin.  "Why are you talking to a piece of paper.  Never mind, I don't care.  Mom sent me to tell you your going to be late for school."

       School had completely slipped Jason's mind.  He jumped up and shoved the letter  into his backpack, envelope and all.  Jason ran down the beige carpeted stairs two at a time.  Thump THUMP Thump THUMP.  he skipped down the last four steps, raced into the kitchen kissed his mother on the cheek and said good morning to his father.  he grabbed some breakfast and headed out the door.

       " YOU FORGOT YOUR..... lunch."  his mom called after him but he was on his way.

       The bus picked Jason up at the bus stop and drove to Summit High School. 

       "This will be the millionth time I take the same lonely bus to the same lonely school to the same lonely classes.  He sighed.  

       Jason pulled out his blue earbuds and phone and started up his music.  He listened to 'I See Fire' by Ed Sheeran.  As the music floated into his ears, he was carried away on a magical cloud of happiness and tranquility.  He opened one eye and thought he saw a flash of gold out of the corner of his window.  he pulled out his ear buds and looked out the window into the cold.  He could just see the shape of a girl in the snow before it disappeared.   As she vanished, Jason could hear the sound of a girl saying very faintly, "I miss you."  Jason shook it off as nothing and got his stuff ready to get off  the bus and into the dreary gray building to spend his day "learning and growing."

*Disclaimer

I do not own the song "I See Fire" the song belongs to Ed Sheeran.

This is my very first book ever.  bear with me.  sorry this chapter was short.  if you have any questions pls comment.   hope you like my book so far.  ;) Love, Hannah