Chapter 20 - Return of the MatchMaker: RariJack

Start from the beginning

Before she began her story, I volunteered to make us some hot cider.  I figured that something nice and hot would make her feel better as well as help her to sleep more soundly when she is ready for bed.  The warm, soothing taste of apples and spices helped Applejack calm down a bit while she was telling me what happened between her and Rarity.  Once she had explained it to me, we must have nearly finished the kettle by now as we continue to drink what is left in our cups while we sit on the couch in the living room.

After taking a sip of my hot beverage, I ask her with curiosity, "So... did you kiss her because you were drunk or...?"

"Sigh...  Ah wish that were true ..." Applejack hangs her head low as she answers my question sadly.  "...but honestly... Ah... Ah've always liked Rarity that way, but Ah know for certain that she doesn't share the same affection for me."

"Why do you say that, Applejack?" I ask softly with concern.

"'Cause Rarity always fancies herself with a classy noblepony or some dreamy prince, that's why!" she snaps at me with tiresome, watery eyes.

I am a bit startled by her sudden outburst, but then, she softens up after feeling bad for losing her temper like that.  During this unsettling, quiet moment, Applejack steadily drinks her hot cider before she gazes at her steaming cup.

"You know, sugarcube..." she speaks to me with a heavy sigh.  "...Ah didn't always have these here feelings for her before.  Even when Rarity and Ah first met, we were mostly bitter to one and another.  But then, we had that sleepover at Twilight's place, and ever since then, me and Rarity became the best of friends.  Sure, we still had our differences, and we get at each other's mane sometimes, but it's all in good fun, and Ah've always enjoyed her company every now and then."

She gingerly takes another sip of her drink before she continues her reminiscing.  "But then... everything changed that night when we were leavin' from the Gala...?"
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
"You did WHAT to him?!" Applejack questioned Rarity as she could hardly contain her laughter.

"You heard me, Applejack!" Rarity confirmed proudly with a giggling grin.  "I slathered that oaf of a prince with leftover cake all over him, and he just shrieked like a little filly!  Oh, you should have seen him!"

"Boy-howdy!" Applejack exclaimed with a mighty chuckle.  "I would have loved to see that!  That guy sounds prissier than you, Rarity!"

"Oh, very funny!" Rarity quipped sarcastically with a smile.  "But true, none of the less."  They both shared a hearty laugh together as they walked back to Ponyville where Applejack is escorting Rarity to her Carousal Boutique.  Despite how disastrous the night was for them, they still found some enjoyment in all of it.

"Thank you so much for walking me over back to my Carousal." Rarity said gratefully to Applejack once they made it back to her home.  "I truly appreciate it."

"It's no trouble at all, milady!" Applejack replies kindly as she bows courteously to her friend.  "Well, goodnight."

"Applejack?" Rarity called out quietly to the leaving farm pony.

"Hmm?" Applejack responded simply as she turned around to face the suddenly nervous Unicorn mare.