Chapter 19 - Rainbow Dash's Birthday Party

Start from the beginning

"AJ!  Big Mac!  Ford!  You've made it!" the birthday girl greets us excitingly.  "And it's about time too!  We were all waiting for you!"

"Hmph!" Applejack grunts lightly at Rainbow's impatience.  "Ah like to see you do better when ya haul these heavy jugs strapped to yer sides!"

"Heh!  No prob!" Rainbow begins her boasting.  "With those, I can get from your place to here in ten seconds--!"

"Without flying I might add!" Applejack says with a confident smirk.  Surprisingly, AJ manages to cut off Rainbow Dash's charming boasting short for a change.

"Well... when you put it that way..." Rainbow flusters gradually as she tries to think of a good answer.  But it's nothing but silence between the flustered cyan Pegasus and the grinning, Stetson-wearing farmpony.

"Ugh, nevermind about that!" Rainbow Dash groans in pride-shattering defeat.  "Come inside already!"
After we have set aside our hard cider on the table with the rest of the food and drinks, I look around the decorative bake shop to see who else is attending.  Obviously, Rainbow would invite the rest of the Mane Six: Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Twilight Sparkle.  Yes, even Twilight is able to be here with her friends to celebrate this special occasion, the only difference about her is that that she isn't wearing any of her princess attirement this time.  Must be kind of a relief to her, being able cast aside her royal duties every once in a while.

"Oy!  Mustang!  Over here!" A familiar pony calls out to me.  I turn my head to the source, and to my delightful surprise, Vinyl Scratch and Octavia are here today for the festivity.  Vinyl energetically waves at me while Octavia just smiles at me as she holds a cup of fruit punch in her hoof.

"Vinyl!  Octavia!" I say with a gleeful smile as I walk over to them.  "This is a nice surprise!  I didn't know that you two were well-acquainted with Rainbow Dash!"

"Actually..." Octavia confesses softly while staring at her drink.  "Vinyl knows Rainbow Dash better than I do, since she's a big fan of DJ-PON-3 and all.  I'm just... merely tagging along for this occasion."

"And leave my sexy marefriend all by herself?" the grinning DJ pony states while wrapping a hoof around the blushing cellist.  "Not a chance, Tavi!"  She then give a nice, quick peck to Octavia's rosy cheek as the grey Earth Pony giggles softly to herself.

"By way, Ford." Octavia speaks to me after regaining her composure.  "Did our music help you in any way possible?"

"Oh, absolutely!" I confirm with an enthusiastic smile.  "Thanks again for the records!  They have been put to great use, I assure you!"

"Well come on!  Tell us!" Vinyl demands whiningly.  "What is it?!"
"Vinyl!" Octavia chastises her pouting marefriend. 
"You shouldn't be so demanding like that!"  Then she turns her attention towards me after clearing her throat briefly.  "So tell us, Ford Mustang.  Would you be so kind as to inform us of your mysterious gift?" Octavia asks politely with a persuasive smile and fluttering eyes.

"Hmph!  How's that different from the way I asked?" Vinyl Scatch grumbles to herself as she witnesses her marefriend's art of persuasion.

As I try to decide on whether I should let them know about my gift or not, we hear Rainbow Dash announcing, "So, is everypony here?!"  I take that opportunity to avoid revealing the identity of my gift just yet.