Chapter 18 ~ Not the First

Chapter XVIII

Karson's head is down. She seems to be unconscious, for her body is slack. Her wrists have dried blood on them. Probably from her struggling in the shackles.

"Karson!" I yell.

"Be quite, human. She can't hear you!" Elliott says in a cruel tone.

I shrink back, still sitting on the ground. Maybe if I make myself small enough, I can disappear. Disappear from all this. I feel weak here.

Elliott regards me with hard golden brown eyes. No sense of sympathy in them, not even pity. The other Blessed around me don't move. No one tries to help me. They all look at me with an expression of disgust.

"Get her up," he says, nodding towards two boys who look about my age.

They start toward me, and I back away. "I can stand up myself, thank you," I say.

"Then why haven't you?" a hint of mockery in his voice.

I attempt to stand up, only to find my legs made of jelly, and I stumble to the ground.

Elliott laughs. "Mason, Garrett, get her up," he commands the two teenage boys.

They grab my arms and pull me up. All of my weight on them now. I can't even stand up by myself.

"Take her to," Elliott thinks for a second, "Cell 54." He gives me an evil smile. "That way she can watch her little Protector slowly die."

My heart rapidly picks up speed, my breath catching in my throat at the thought of Dominick. He's Blessed, just like them. But they seem to have more power somehow.

"What did you do to him?" I demand.

"Nothing yet, darling," Elliott sayd simply as Mason and Garrett carry me out of the room. Me yelling curses at Elliott and kicking all the way.

"Shut up!" the boy on my right says.

"Don't tell me what to do!" I scream at him.

"I can do whatever I want, human. You are nothing to me."

We reach a corridor with cells on both sides. Every one we pass is empty.

"Garrett, leave it. She's not even worth it," says the boy to my left, who I assume is Mason.

"This little bitch isn't going to get far if she keeps on acting like she's hot stuff," Garrett says.

They stop walking in front of a cell. It has a stone floor, sink, and mattress, like all the other cells. But this one has something the others don't: a window. Or more an opening with crossed bars over it, making it impossible to escape. And it's high up. A good five feet above me.

"We thought you'd like the window. It'll make you feel more miserable knowing you can't go anywhere," Garrett says.

He turns me around to face him, his hands gripping my shoulders tightly. His eyes are a light, slate blue. Almost grey.

"Now listen here, human. You have no power here. Shut that pretty little mouth of yours, got it? I don't want to hear screaming or anything coming from this cell, got it?" Garrett is taller than me only by an inch or two, but he makes me feel like I am only three inches tall.

I nod, not able to do anything else.

"Good," he says. Then he swipes his hand in the air, as if pushing an invisible door open, and the cell door, made of bars, slides open. Garrett looks back at me. "Wind-Blessed, if you're wondering."

He and Mason push me into the cell and close the door.

Garrett laughs at me when I turn back around, a frightened look on my face, I'm sure.