05.

introducing caroline wheeler and david wheeler^^

++

Will Byers was missing. 

Her mother had gotten a call from Nancy's mom, telling her that Joyce Byers had just been on the phone with her again, saying that she had officially reported Will missing. 

Samantha was sat on her window seat doing her homework, music playing in the background. It felt strange, knowing that he was missing. She tried to wrap her head around it; who would want to hurt an innocent little boy? 

She shuddered. There were some sick, nasty people in the world. Now she wasn't stupid. She knew that in 99% of cases, the child would end up found safe and sound but she couldn't help but think of that 1% but she quickly shoved that thought from her mind. 

Will would not be that one percent. 

"Samantha!" she heard her mom call, "Dinner is on the table!" 

"Coming!" she yelled, closing her book as she let out a sigh. 

Jonathan had been right. Something had happened to him. 

Samantha quickly made her way downstairs; the smell of her mom's spaghetti floating through the house and just as she reached the kitchen, there was a knock at the door, causing both of her parents to turn around. 

"Are you expecting someone?" her dad asked and she frowned. 

Jonathan was supposed to have come over but with what's going on, she didn't expect him to actually show up. 

"I'll just be a minute." she told them, closing the door behind her so they didn't feel the need to be nosy. Pushing some of her hair behind her ears, she pulled the door open, wincing when the cold wind blew in and she quickly pulled her sweater down over her hands. 

It was Jonathan and at the sound of the door opening, he spun around to look at her, "Hi." 

"Hi," she repeated quietly, stepping outside onto the porch and letting the door shut behind her, "I heard about Will. I didn't think you'd come over." 

"I'm not here to work on the project," he explained as a shiver ran through her and he instinctively moved closer as if to try and shield her from the cold, "I just thought I'd better come in person and say that I can't work on it. I'm helping my mom look for Will, she nee-"

He stopped when she put her hand on his arm, finally looking down into her eyes. "Jonathan, stop" she whispered, "Don't worry about the project. I can work on it on my own for now. Unless, you want some help?" 

"No," he shook his head, "No. It's cold out. I'll be fine."

"Okay, well here," she said, disappearing back inside for a few moments, handing him a flashlight when she returned, "Take this. And be careful." 

He nodded, taking the flashlight from her and their fingers brushed, "Thank you." He then looked to the left, where the living room window was and following his gaze, Samantha's face turned bright red when she saw her parents staring at them. 

"Oh my god," she hissed, looking back at Jonathan to see him with a small smile on his face and she cleared her throat, "I hope you find Will." 

At the mention of his brother's name, his smile faded and she immediately felt guilty, "I'll get this back to you as soon as I can."

"Don't worry about it," she whispered as he walked back to his car and she ground her teeth together as she went back inside, slamming the door and she could just see her mom duck back into the kitchen. "There's no point in running!" she yelled as she walked through to join them, "We saw you." 

She watched as her parents pretended to eat their dinner, crossing her arms over her chest when they finally looked up. 

"What?" her mom asked innocently, then her eyes lit up, "Oh! Is that...Johnny Byers?" 

"Jonathan," she muttered, taking her seat, "His name is Jonathan." 

"Oh, he doesn't like Johnny?" 

"I don't," Samantha smiled and her mom shook her head. 

"Question," her dad spoke up, "Who's Johnny Byers?"

"Jonathan!" the two women snapped and the teen quickly cleared her throat.

"He's just this boy who's in my photography class." 

"A boy who Sammy likes." 

"Mom!" she groaned, feeling her cheeks heat up and she felt her father's eyes on her. 

"You like him?" he asked, "Well, I want to meet this boy who my daughter likes." 

"Dad!" 

"Wait, isn't he Joyce's son? His brother's missing?" 

"Yes," Samantha murmured, "He was just telling me that he can't work on the project we've been set. Which is fine. I can start it on my own." 

"You're so kind," her mom said, pinching her cheek lightly before going back to her dinner, "I'm sure Will has just run off and will be back tomorrow." 

The teenager gave her a weak smile and pushed at her own food with her fork. They didn't know Will.