DELTA PROJECT: HIDE PROLOGUE-CHAPTER 3

Start from the beginning

            “Yes, sir?”  The one on the right asked.  She was pretty sure he was the one called Halloway.  He was actually one of the nicer guards and was not as strict with her and the others. 

            “Get her out of here.”  He said, inclining his head toward her.  “You know what to do.”

            Halloway and Chapman glanced at each other.  “Are you sure sir?  It is after all-“

            “Of course I’m sure,” he snapped, “You know the rules.  Now get rid of her.” 

            It looked like D005 was going to find out where everyone went when they disappeared after all because that is exactly what was going to happen to her now.  She was going to disappear, just like a number of others had done over the years.  She wasn’t stupid.  Actually she was ridiculously smart.  She knew what happened when the others disappeared.  They all knew it.  They just called it disappearing because it was better than admitting that someone they had known their whole lives had been “put down.”  Like they were animals.  That’s how these people saw them. 

After a slight hesitation, Halloway and Chapman each grabbed one of her arms and tugged her out of the room after them.  D005 looked over her shoulder at Commander on her way through the door.  He was still glaring after her, his eyes dark and stormy.  Halloway and Chapman led her through a series of hallways until they came to a stop at a door with a keypad to the left of it.  Chapman reached out, quickly punching in a set of numbers.  33246.  Her eyes caught the numbers despite his quick movements.  The door slid open and then they were through it.  She had never been this way before. 

            “You should have done as you were told kid.”  Halloway mumbled under his breath to her, his eyes remaining forward.

            “I couldn’t.”  D005 whispered back.

            Halloway grunted in response.  “Don’t think they were expecting that from you.”

            She didn’t answer.  No.  They did not expect that response from her.  She had always excelled at everything they had thrown at her.  She didn’t think that made her any more special than any of the others.  She just pushed herself harder because she didn’t want to have to deal with the punishments that some of the others had to deal with because they were slower or screwed something minor up.  Or whatever.  Life sucked as it was.  She just didn’t see the point in making it harder for herself. 

            They were coming up on a larger, open area.  Her eyes flicked around it, taking it all in.  Analyzing.  A large, enclosed desk area was off to the right of the hallway they would be exiting from with a dozen computer monitors.  Each flickered from one scene to another, showing room after room, hallway after hallway.  Security.  The chair at the desk sat empty.  Underneath the counter of the desk was a red button.  Wait a second.  That last scene on one of the monitors had been of the outside.  She was sure of it.  Maybe- She quickly took in the rest of the area.  There was one hallway off to the right of the desk, leading back further into the facility.  One hallway directly across from the hallway they would be exiting in thirty seconds.  And then-yes that is what she needed.  Off to the left was a set of heavy-duty glass doors.  Ten seconds.  She sent a silent apology to the two guards at her sides.  She would try not to hurt them too much.  After all they didn’t seem too bad compared to some of the others. 

With that she slammed herself into Halloway, pushing him into the wall.  Choosing him first as he was the larger and more experienced (she was pretty sure she could remember him far back in her memory) of the two.  There was a loud crack as his head hit the solid wall and his hulking form crumpled quickly to the floor.  Lying still where he fell.  Well that had been easier than she had expected.  Chapman was already bringing up his stun-stick from where it was holstered at his hip and she moved quickly to disarm him.  She flew across the gap between them.  A kick to his wrist and the stun-stick fell from his grasp - useless.  Grabbing his wrist with her left hand D005 yanked his arm back and up, swinging her body around behind him while bringing her left foot up and down right behind his knee forcing him into a kneel.  Simultaneously her right hand came up around Chapman’s neck, her fingers closing in and pressing in on his carotid artery.  He fought back of course, but his efforts were in vain.  She held him in check.  Despite his size, she was stronger.  Her movements were quick.  Graceful.  Effortless.