Murmurs In The Dark

Start from the beginning

I was too short for him to be able to meet my gaze by bending unless he dropped to his knees on the floor.

Yay for me. A pro for being short. Then again, why is it a pro? Don't I want him to look at me? Then again, if he got down on his knees...

He didn't, he just lifted a finger and placed it on my chin and gently probed my head up. I didn't resist the move and was staring up at Kiel's violet eyes through the strands of his red and black hair.

I lifted my index finger up and traced the dark shadows that had formed below his eyes. Dark shadows that hadn't been there before.

"You're tired," I whispered.

It wasn't a question, so he didn't say anything. There was nothing to say. I looked down, dropping my hand to my lap and knitting my fingers together.

"You didn't have to stay with me the whole time," I said, lifting my lashes back up. I was talking about him staying awake and being my makeshift nanny. And just like always, he understood my out of context, abrupt words.

He tilted his head slightly to his right, as if to say maybe.

"But I wanted to," he said.

I licked my lips and asked the question you never ask when you don't want to be in a relationship with someone.

"Why?" I asked.

His eyes smiled, even though his plump lush lips didnt move.

Oh my God, I was going crazy. Eyes smile? What's next, Kiera? Do teeth see?

"Do I need a reason?" He murmured, matching my quiet tone. I took a deep breath, drawing in Kiel's cinnamon and spice scent, relishing it as it filled my lungs. It was a drug to my senses, relaxing my muscles and lowering my inhibitions.

Kiel tapped my chin lightly and I opened my eyes, which I hadn't realized I'd closed.

"Were your eyes green before the Awakening?" He asked.

"Greenish-brown," I corrected, gently, watching his eyes flit between both of mine. I was glad he couldn't outright see the weird muddy brown and grassy green colour of my eyes. They were hidden behind the brilliant gold.

Thank you, God.

"I can still see it," he said.

Why, God. Why me?

I nodded in response before saying:

"After the Awakening, our eyes take on the colour of our powers. But somehow the original colour of our irises remain." I explained, to fill in the silence and to distract me from leaning in and pressing myself to him and asking him to wrap those defined arms around me and never let go.

A smirk lifted his lips.

"It's distracting," he said, slowly.

Distracting good? Distracting bad?

He must've seen the question on my face because he laughed softly, tapping my nose.

"In a good way," he said.

I love you, God. Forget all the mean things I say to you when there's no food in the fridge.

"Then again," he added and I looked up and his gaze had gone hooded, "also in a bad way."

I take it all back, God. Why are you doing this to me? Have I ever wasted food? No. So why?

"Bad how?"