HIMYM One Shot

"Wait a second... This is my umbrella." Ted points out, recognising the yellow umbrella he is holding beside Tracy. "I left this umbrella at Cindy's. You totally stole my umbrella."

"What?" she giggles. "No I didn't. This is my umbrella, I bought this."

"Excuse me. It even has my initials on it, right here..." Ted points the umbrella's stick. "T. M. Ted Mosby."

"Yeah, look again, Ted Mosby. Those are my initials. T. M. Tracy McConnell."

"Uh, no Tracy McConnell. It's T.M. Totally my umbrella."

"Uh, you're T.M., terribly mistaken, because this umbrella has always belonged T.M. to me." Tracy says, trying to keep up with the argument over the umbrella, and laughs. "Although I did lose it for a few years there." she tries to remember. "Um so, I went to this dance club-"

"On St. Patrick's Day." Ted interrupts, looking at her, amazed by the coincidence.

"On St.Patrick's Day..." she whispers.

"And you left it there."

"And I left it there." Tracy repeats after him.

"And you never thought you'd see it again."

"And I never thought I'd see it again." they both stare at each other. "Funny how sometimes you just find things..." Tracy says, while holding her bass beside Ted, under the pouring rain hitting their umbrella.

"Hi." Ted whispers with an smile on his face.

"Hi." Tracy repeated. And it wasn't just finding something, it was more than that.

23 YEARS LATER...

"Kids, remember the time when I told you about the umbrella's story and how much your mother and I fought over it?"

"Of course, you remind us everyday to take care of it because of what it means to the two of you." Penny points out.

"So... as you know, our 23rd anniversary will be in four days and I want to prepare something really special for her and you guys are helping me out."

"Is uncle Barney and the rest included on this plan?" Luke asks, already getting excited.

"Of course they all are. I was thinking of a dinner at-"

"Dinner?" Penny laughs at his dad. "You are crazy if you think you'll make a simple dinner for my mom. It has to be better than that dad. C'mon, you've done nicer things."

"See? That's why I need the two of you in this. Your mom will be home late tonight, so I'm taking you two to MacLarens' right now." Ted says, standing up from his leather chair.

"MacLarens?!" both yell excited.

"You're not drinking." Ted says, ruining some of Luke and Penny's excitement.

"Drinking or not, we're finally going to the dream-land." Luke tells his father, earning an smirk from his sister.

"Dream-land?" Ted asks, pulling on his coat and looking for the car keys while the kids are putting on their jackets too. "Is that how you call the bar?"

"Yeah. It's where we want to hang out someday with our friends." says his daughter.

"Like if you had friends." Ted jokes.

"Dad!" she complains.

"I'm joking! I know you've got more friends than I ever had." he says, pulling Penny into a hug. "But why the name?"