one

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Most people who know of this school assume the prestigious boarding school for young wizards and witches to learn the teaching of witchcraft, think that it must be better than the regular high school you see in films and television everywhere. Well, they're wrong. It's the same. Same drama and teenage angst. Except instead of Algebra, we have Charms class.

    So coming from the muggle world, a very non-magical place, I had never even dreamed of something so bizarre. Not to mention my parents jobs were a teacher and a lawyer, I lived a pretty straight-forward, normal life. So 4 years ago when I received my acceptance letter, they were, let's just say, skeptical. And, to be honest, so was I. The only friend I ever had was a stuffed bear that my energetic little brother, Auggie, defaced when he was 3. But, I was thrilled to meet a variety of new people like me.The weirdest part was the wizarding school found me, of everyone else, I became a wizard. But none of what I previously had known mattered now, in fact the first and most helpful thing I've learned as a brand new 11 year-old Gryffindor muggle born inductee was one thing, don't befriend assholes, aka Slytherins. I followed and continued to follow this even up to now, my fifth year, and I've still resented the house. Every Gryffindor has followed it, including my best friend, Maya Hart, who has stuck with me since our first year. We have our reasons, of course, they're Gryffindor's number one competitor for sports, test scores, and basically everything else. Also, they hate us back. So we ponder in these facts and wallow in it, and we both refuse to stop. And I rethink my strong hatred for the house every time I walk into the Great Hall for the first time that year, because, if we're being honest, I didn't really hate anything else. Luckily for me, I had a best friend who did most of the hating for me.

    "I can't believe we're fifth years now and we still have to bear with these horrid rooms!" the angry blonde bellows in fury, and stomps over to gently put away her Quidditch broom in her trunk, trying to keep in in pristine condition for the season.

    "I find it ironic that you are on an angry rage yet you still keep your broom safe." I tease the shorter girl, and pull my dark brown hair out of my face so I can continue organizing our school books.

  "Doesn't mean I'm not angry." She huffs, walking over to her bed and throwing herself downwards, "Just means it's expensive and I'd like to keep it."

  "Aww look, Maya Hart cares about something." I pout my lip and look back at her, only to be followed by a pillow flying towards my face. I duck down to dodge it, but it still seems to have ruined my hair. " I was only teasing, peaches."

  "So was I!" She defended, petting my face and hugging me like I was her doll. "I care about you too, you know."

  "Of course I know," I smiled, "as do I." I pulled away from her and began to straighten up the pictures on my desk, one specifically of Maya and I after her first Quidditch game.

  "I remember that," She smiled and picked it up, "It was the first game I played in. You convinced me to try out because you thought I would be good."

  "I was right," She blushed and shook her head, "C'mon Maya, you were a starting Beater since your second year, that's amazing!"

  "I guess..." She looked back at the drawing and a small fit of anger grew on her face. "But the Slytherins won. They took their opportunity to sabotage an eleven year old." Maya's main hatred for the house began during her first game, where it came out later in the year that the ball had been jinxed. The ball had hit her right in the stomach, she had to stay in the hospital wing for 3 weeks. What didn't help was the things the Slytherins would say to me about my parentage. It wasn't until I befriended Maya, that I finally worked the courage to stand up for myself. Even to this day I still hear small comments about it. Nonetheless, ever since these incidents we both had a fuming hatred for the green house.

  "Just remember, in a matter of weeks you'll crush them again." I reassure the older girl, "Like you always have."

  "We can only hope." Maya shrugged, leaning off of me, and climbing into her bed.

  "Are you tired?" I ask, only to receive a small nod from my best friend. I sigh and walk over to mine, "Nox." the lights go out and I smile to myself. Then, my eyes flutter shut and I'm left alone with my thoughts.

//
i love this