Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

     "I wonder why," Ashton said in a hushed voice.

     It was if a light bulb lit up inside my head as I suddenly realized why.

     "It's because they're waiting for us," I said, starting to panic.

     I whirled around just as a girl screamed, falling down. Everyone in the crowd turned to look as her, gasping at the arrow sticking out of her neck.

     "Get ready!" I yelled as loudly as I could. "Get ready to fight!"

     More arrows rained down from the trees. I saw Violet notch an arrow in the bow, pull her arm back, and then released it. A boy hidden in the trees fell, and I knew Violet had hit him.

     I turned around once I heard the crunching of leaves beneath people's feet. A whole group of Goldbloods were walking towards us. I prepared myself.

     "They're surrounding us," Ashton whispered, holding his spear.

     I looked behind me and, sure enough, another crowd of Goldbloods was there. It looked as though they had the advantage over us.

     A Goldblood came running towards Ashton and I. Ashton threw his spear at her, and she fell down. While Ashton went to go retrieve his weapon, another Goldblood came towards me, his knife ready to do some damage.

     He brought his knife down, but I brought my arm up and his knife didn't touch me. The boy was quick, though, whipping out another knife and cutting my arm. I stifled a cry of pain as I kicked him in the stomach. It slowed the boy down, but didn't do much damage as he came back towards me, looking bloodthirsty.

     I knew there was no other way to stop him except for killing him, but I really didn't want to. He probably had friends, a family, maybe a girlfriend.

     I ducked out of the way as he tried to lodge his knife in my stomach. I knew I had to do this, or else I was dead, so reluctantly, I lifted my knife. When the boy turned, I slit his throat, and he fell down, dead.

     I sucked in a breath, staring at my knife, and then at the dead boy, in horror. I killed him. I actually killed him. I knew if I didn't, I would've died, but it's still terrible. He had people he cared about, and people cared about him too, and I just ended his life with a quick movement of my knife.

     "Calypso?"

     I looked up at Nash, tears in my eyes.

     He looked at me, then at the boy, and then back at me. "You killed him?" he asked softly. I nodded.

     "I killed him Nash. I just... I just killed him, and now I feel horrible! I'm a murdered, Nash, I killed him!"

     Nash wiped away tears now sliding down my cheek. "You're a Power," he said. "It's going to happen." He gestured at everyone around me. "Everyone here has killed at least one person. No one said becoming a Power was going to be, but admit it, it's worth it. Calypso, a battle is going on. You can't stop to feel guilty, or else someone with kill you, they won't give it a second thought."

     I took a deep breath. "You're right," I murmured. "I have to do this. I'm the saviour." I looked up at him. "Will you come and try and find Phoenix with me?"

     "Of course," Nash said gently, and we made our way through the crowd of fighting people, trying our best to go unnoticed. Some people did notice, unfortunately, and another person was added to my kill list, sadly.

     We made it out of the crowd.

     "What now?" I asked. "Where are we supposed to look?"