Chapter Twenty Five

Twenty Five

I stood by Nash near the entrance of the Powers' camp, feeling nervous. I didn't know why, but I somehow knew this was going to be the last time I faced Phoenix. I just had a feeling.

     I was wearing a kind of armor that Ashton insisted I wore, and it was very uncomfortable, but I didn't bother complaining. I knew that this would protect me the best it could, and that's what I needed.

     I was holding knives, and I had a couple hidden in my boots as well, just in case I lost my first pair.

     I glanced around at everyone. I didn't know very many people here, but I spotted a couple of people I did happen to know. Valerie, her black hair back in a high ponytail, gripping the hilt of a sword; Lillie, holding a tiny dagger, her brown hair blowing into her face by the breeze, looking very small compared to everyone around her; Ashton, standing at the front of the group, giving out orders which I had tuned out; Violet, holding a bow with a quiver of arrows strapped to her back, black hair in a tight bun; Nash, his black hair slightly tousled by the wind, holding throwing knives, like me. He met my gaze, squeezing my hand gently to try and calm the butterflies in my stomach.

     Ashton let Evie help, even though she didn't have a power. She had a hidden talent with the bow and arrow, so that was the weapon she was going to use.

     Dorian was staying back at the camp, since he hadn't fully learned to use his power. Dorian had whined about it, before going to the boy's tent to pout.

     "Let's go!" Ashton called out, and everyone around me cheered. It made me sad to think that some of these people wouldn't be standing here tomorrow at this time.

     "What was he saying?" I asked Nash.

     "He was reminding everyone about the orb, and he was telling everyone to be careful and that they were very brave," Nash said, beginning the walk along with everyone.

     "Thanks." I looked up at him before making my way through the crowd to the front, with Ashton. He had asked me to lead the way the Goldblood's camp, since no one else knew where it was.

     "You okay?" he questioned quietly when I reached him.

     "About as good as I can get, I guess," I replied.

     Ashton nodded and we walked together. I thought back to my vision, and trying to remember the exact way to the Goldblood camp.

     "Wait!"

     I turned around and found Mom running up to me, holding a sword.

     "Mom! What are you doing? You don't have a power, you might get hurt!" Or worse.

     "Callie, I fought in the first war before," Mom said, stopping beside me. "I may not have my power, but I do know how to use a sword. Very well, might I add."

     "But-"

     "Callie, I'm your mother. Don't argue with me."

     I sighed. "Fine. Just, please, don't get hurt."

     "I'll try. And same goes to you."

     "I'll try."

     We started moving again, me leading the way. Soon we reached the border of the camp, and I stopped.

     "What is it, Callie?" Ashton asked, looking at me, concerned.

     "It's quiet," I said. "Too quiet."