Chapter Fourteen

"Everyone ready?" James asks.

"Please..." Danni begs.

"If we don't make a run for it then they'll just kill us," Ian says, not even attempting to sugar-coat it. 

She nods, fighting back tears.

Joey walks over to her and says, "We'll all be okay. I promise."

We all phase, and where twelve humans stood before, we're replaced by twelve large, menacing wolves. 

I look around at everyone. This could be the last time I ever see any of these people again. They could all get killed, or I could get killed. But no matter what, we're keeping Danni safe from the Mystics.

I make one promise to myself, though. 

No matter what, I am killing Allie. She put a curse on Danni. A horrible curse that can never be undone. It's going to ruin her life. Vampires everywhere will want to find Danni and use her for their own hybrid army. So I have to get revenge.

It's at least the one thing I'm going to do before I die.

With shaky steps, Danni walks over to Ian and Matt, brushing up against both their left and right sides, to cover them with her scent. 

Now that I think about it, Danni's scent is very distinguishable among the rest of ours. It could be for the fact that she is a she-wolf, or because I imprinted on her. I'm hoping for the latter, because then it'll be harder for them to find her.

"So it's settled, then? Danni will go in the middle with Ian and Matt on the sides. When they attack, which they will, then we split up into our groups," Seth growls. We all nod.

"Nightfall is coming. It'll make it harder for them to distinguish who's white and who's blonde," Jake points out.

"We have about ten minutes before we leave," Matt says.

You can tell that Ian and Matt are nervous. They're specifically targets now, and they'll be the ones to get attacked first. We have to protect them, but Danni is our main priority.

If she's captured, then every last wolf worldwide will be killed too.

"Alright everyone, go!" James yells.

We all break out into a sprint, going as fast as we can. Danni said it'll take possibly two days to get there, but after looking it up, we narrowed it down to almost a day if we follow a specific path. 

The trees shake and the ground trembles as we continue along our path. We're all going as fast as we can. The faster we're able to get to the cave, the better. I'm also hoping that since the cave is protected by a witch's curse, we'll find a witch there who can put that protective charm on a larger area for us, or even better, Danni.

It has been about an hour since we started out journey. An extreme thirst is forming in my throat, and my muscles are protesting with every move I make. 

But I can't stop. The longer and more frequent we stop, the more Danni's scent lingers in the air. And the more her scent lingers, the easier it will be for the Mystics to find us.

After about fifteen minutes longer, Seth calls us to stop. No one dares phase back to human, just in case we are ambushed. But we've been running for an hour and fifteen minutes, so we should take a break, especially because we're most likely going to get attacked during the end, when we're tired.

"How's everyone doing?" Matt calls out. Everyone grunts in reply.

"Danni?" Joey asks, going over to her.