Chapter 19: Dance to the Rythm of the Night

Start from the beginning

Sebastian frowned, could it be? No…that girl hadn’t been heard from in London society since Miss Marie’s ball, it was rumored she had returned to wherever she had come from.The noble’s hand rested delicately on her waist, his other hand holding a much smaller slimmer one, as the music began.

It is her. He would recognize that fluid dance movement anywhere, it wasn’t every day that a human bested him, and he had made a note of her after that.It is a pity I cannot dance with her, I should like a rematch.

The music ended and the couple was swarmed by a group of hopeful young men, all vying for a chance to dance with the girl, Prince Soma among them.

“She is quite beautiful is she not? What is her name?” Agni said, jolting Sebastian back to the present. “No one knows, she has only attended one function and did not speak once throughout the whole evening. The gossip mongers think she is a French noble of some relation to Lady Elizabeth, but as the Phantomhive butler I have done extensive research on his fiancé’s relatives and family, she is not related to that girl.”

“I am right here you know, and would appreciate if you did not speak of me as if I am not here.” Ciel directed a withering look at the butler.

Lizzie appeared in a whirl of light blue skirts, “Ciel! What do you think?”

“I think we should dance, my lady, if I may?”

Ciel handed his hat and cane to Sebastian before leading Lizzie onto the dance floor. Now, this is quite a shock, my lord never cared for dancing before.

The music swelled again as a slow waltz began, his eyes automatically being drawn to the girl in pink, she had a gracefulness about her that went so far as to make her bumbling partner appear graceful as well. The Prince seemed oblivious to the fact that he was not performing any of the steps properly.

___________________________________________________________________

Kat couldn’t believe it, even more people were asking to dance with her tonight than the first time. She felt…wonderful…that was the only word she could describe it as. It was so nice to feel like you were beautiful in the eyes of other people.

The music ended, and she stepped back from her partner, Prince Soma. When he had taken her hand to dance she had nearly died of surprise, but relaxed as it became obvious he did not recognize her. He trotted happily back to where Agni stood with a cup of water for his Prince.

“May I have this dance my lovely little dove?” A shiver went down Kat’s spine at the sound of the Viscount Druit’s voice, calmly she shook her head. “Oh, I see my lovely little dove’s wings are tired are they, never fear I shall procure some refreshments.”

And I shall procure some sanity and get going while the getting is good.Kat gathered her skirts and exited the dance floor heading in the opposite direction of the refreshment table, luckily in the opposite direction also from Sebastian and crew. It’s so hot in here, I think I’ll step outside for a moment. Spying a door out to the curtained off terrace she slipped outside into the cool night air.

Reveling in the cool quiet of the night, the sounds of the music and laughter that drifted through the walls, and the sweet hum of the crickets, Kat took a deep breath. It’s nice to feel liked but it’s much nicer to be able to breathe without fear of others finding out how you really are…

There was a soft click and a shaft of light that appeared and disappeared with the closing of the door. Kat looked over her shoulder to see the tall form of the Phantomhive butler peering down at her. Of course if I don’t find trouble, it finds me…

Black Butler: Demons in our HeartsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara