I had never seen them before—but then I'd just been around for less than three years. That was part of the reason why I ignored it when my hackles rose. The animosity I felt towards them was just irrational. Maybe it was because they looked like school jocks. Bullies.

The other reason was the girl I'd missed when she entered, and was now walking towards us.

"Hi, Sylvie!" Jamie greeted her.

"Hi!"

I waved at her a bit feebly, conscious of how beautiful she looked and how ridiculous I looked with ketchup and mustard all over my mouth. I wasn't always a vain person, but being around a girl like Sylvie made me feel that I should be more girly.

"Can I join you?"

We nodded. Sylvie went to sit beside me.

"You're here alone?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Amy and the girls ditched me. I was going for a takeout, but I saw you guys."

Jamie, still half-sitting on Nick's lap, said, "Hey, do you want to order something?"

"The triple cheeseburger is heaven," I told Sylvie.

"I'd love that, but I'm on a diet. I'll have something fishy, if there's one. Fish has less calories than beef."

She went to order and came back with something fried and flat with potatoes.

"What's that?"

"Fish fillet," she answered.

Jamie wriggled out of Nick's arms and leaned forward. "So, Sylvie, you said fish has less calories than beef?"

"Yes, of course. Even less if it's not fried."

"But the smell, I mean..."

Their chat went on. Jamie had always been obsessed with her weight. Anything that screamed out low-fat would go straight to her ears and stomach.

I noticed that the guys who had gone in just now were gone. I hadn't even seen them order anything—but that's okay. I felt so much more relaxed after they left.

Sylvie asked us what we were doing after dinner. We were going to watch a new Marvel film. She asked to join.

"Sure!" I said, perking up immediately. If she was with us, then I'd have a fourth-wheel friend.

"This is going to be so great!" Sylvie said, clapping her hands together.

If she saw the dark look Nick sent her, she ignored him completely. Poor Nicky.

The rocking beat and the night breeze were a perfect hit.

My fingers drummed on my lap as the music blared in my ears, blocking out the voices of Nick and Jamie kissing just two feet away from me. I looked away to the window, wishing that Sylvie would come up with a conversation or something. The sight of them together always evoked a kick in my gut that resonated to my chest.

It made me long for the kind of thing they had.

A tap on my shoulder drew my attention to Jamie, who shot me a sheepish look and gestured to my earphones.

I unplugged them.

"We're ready," she said.

"I'm sure you both are," I replied dryly.

She flushed as we got out of Nick's car. Nick had an arm around her as we walked toward the cinema. Sylvie and I followed them within three feet distance behind. Nick whispered something to her, and she giggled.