Chapter 11: A Second Party

I try to empty my feelings for Jack out of my head. I can't afford to think like this. Especially with the fact I might never see him again after we leave.

I walk further up the sand dunes away from the group to get my thoughts together. I shut my eyes. I don't want to think about life after this. I don't want to go back to my normal life. When I'm at the sea; when I'm with Jack I feel more at home then I ever was at Port Royal.

My stomach growls. When was the last time I've eaten?

I think I've walked too far from everyone else. I stop in my tracks and look back. Most of the crewmen have started to swim back to the vessel. I decide it's time to head back.

I make my way back to Jack who seems to be standing at the shoreline, waiting for me.

As I approach him, I notice he's waving his arms and mouthing something at me. Um...yes, Jack. I can see you.

But as I walk closer I can slightly hear his voice yelling at me. It almost as if he's shouting 'run'.

"What?" I yell back at him. I see Jack's arm wave harder and point behind me so I look back.

Once I see the army of Royal Navy soldiers charging behind me, I don't hesitate. I pick up my feet and rush towards the shoreline. How did they find us? Have they been following us all this time?

I don't have time to think. My legs work to carry my down the beach and towards Jack.

As I get closer, Jack starts to run into the water, waving his arms in the air like he usually does. As soon I reach him I grab him by the shoulders. He tries to escape from my grasp but I'm too panicked to let go.

"Jack!" I tell him, gasping for breath.

"Run!" He replies. I let him go and we enter the water and swim to the Flying Dutchman. My arms and legs work hard to propel me closer without looking back.

Jack and I reach the side of the boat and a heavy rope is dropped from above. Jack grasps the rope and starts to climb it. I grip the wet rope tightly as I'm hoisted up into the air by the crew members towards the deck of the ship. I try to fight the burning pain in my palms as I do my best to hold on.

At this point, waves have started to crash against the side of the ship, swinging the rope hard. The water has started to blur my vision, but as I look back I can make out the blur of red and black uniform approaching closer and closer to the Flying Dutchman.

"Hurry up!" I cry to the crew but most of my voice is obscured by the raging waves.

With a powerful tug, the crewmen hoist Jack aboard the deck and he pulls me up. I straighten myself up and try to soothe the rope burns on my hand. I look to Jack, who's already shouting orders to the crew. Captain Turner seems to be doing the same, but I can't understand anything anyone is shouting.

"What's the plan?!" I say to Jack

"This ship is the fastest ship in the sea. I'm sure, once we get the ship ready at least, we can outdistance them. Sure, vital parts have been destroyed by the fall, but we can still do it" he says and he turns around and continues to shout orders.

The ship starts to rock as the waves get more vicious. Pirates are rushing across the deck, hoisting ropes and fixing the sails. All this chaos and all I can think about is holding on to the railing trying not to fall off. I search for Captain Turner among the midst of the mess. I find him fighting the steering wheel directing the other pirates where to go. I wish I could help, but I have no idea what to do. I don't know the ropes, I don't know the sails. I'm feeling pretty useless at the moment. 

The ocean surface roils harder and I can feel my stomach starting to give way. Oh god, I feel myself start to throw up. I can't throw up on deck, that will be no help at all, so I turn to the sea. I grip the railing trying to steady myself as I lean forwards, about to throw up.

Then I give way. I puke into the ocean, expecting it to disappear into the waves, but it doesn't. Instead, most of it is still visible, as if it landed on something. I squint my eyes to see what is going on. As the scene grows into focus, I finally realize what is going on. I guess I threw up on a soldier struggling at the surface of the water, because I suddenly see a line of soldiers at the side of the boat, readying themselves to board the boat.