Nandini's heart sank. She was snared in a trap that she had helped manufacture. It was amazing how rapidly the love she'd felt towards him had altered into a strong desire to throttle him.

"You can sleep in this room tonight," she said frigidly. "But I better not see you even hovering near the bedroom's doorway. That is my first demand for the day."

"What if I don't let you leave this room?" Prithvi enquired.

"Then your birthday will double up as your death anniversary next year onwards," she spat out furiously.

"Your mind is in the gutter, woman," Prithvi reproved in a hurt voice. "I only meant we could sit up and discuss our feelings till sunrise. You know how much I enjoy talking about that bullcrap."

Nandini had to focus on her anger to stop her lips from twitching. Then she gasped as he moved forward.

"I need something from you. I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't get it," he said, staring at her compellingly.

"What - what do you want?" she asked squeakily.

"A pillow," Prithvi said courteously.

She stared at his solemn features. No sign of mischief was visible. But then she knew from experience that he possessed Oscar-worthy acting talent.

"I'll bring one," she said grudgingly, turning to go to the adjoining room.

Grinning after her, he was going to take a seat on the couch when the envelope on the table caught his eye. He had seen it in her hand. Was this the reason she had asked him to wait?

Clutching a pillow and light coverlet, Nandini emerged from the bedroom in time to see him reaching for the gift.

"Don't take that!" she shrieked, rushing forward. He had time to snatch it, and she expected him to do so. But he allowed her to take the envelope, and though he appeared a little puzzled, no questions came her way.

Strangely touched, she felt obliged to mumble, "It's your gift. I'll give it to you tomorrow."

"I'm not in any hurry," Prithvi comforted.

She looked at him charily, then walked to one end of the sofa and neatly arranged the pillow and coverlet.

The reverse countdown in his head had reached two when she swivelled to him.

"You don't mind waiting till tomorrow?" she asked resentfully.

"You asked me to wait," he pointed out.

"Yes...but - aren't you curious?" she asked indignantly.

"It's just a fat envelope," Prithvi said reasonably. "I doubt it has the keys to your chastity belt - or I should say full-body armour."

She looked fiercely at him and spun to return to the bedroom.

All of a sudden, his arms were coiling around her to halt her progress. He pulled back her stiff but yielding body, holding her securely against himself. The envelope was plucked from her hand.

"Give it back," Nandini said crossly, twisting her face to glower at him. His lips pecked at a sensitive spot near her mouth. Reddening, she turned her attention back to the envelope he was opening.

He released her waist to open the flap and drew out neatly folded foolscap sheets from the envelope.

"Do these pages describe every thought that passed through your mind in the last few weeks that I luckily missed hearing first-hand?" Prithvi asked suspiciously.