24

My alarm woke me up at 7:30, blaring "Think of You" by Chris Young. I jumped out of bed, pulled on a flannel and my down jacket, locking the camper, and jumped in the car. I pulled out of the space, my heart racing. 

I pulled the car around when I reached the sheriff station in this small town. 

"Hi, I need help. My boyfriend, he's missing." I blurted out as I burst through the police station doors. The receptionist looked startled, picked up a phone, and I turned to be face to face with an officer. 

"Your boyfriend, you said?" The officer said. I nodded numbly. "Follow me please." He sat me down at a table in a back room and handed me a clipboard with a form. "Do you have a recent photo?" I handed the officer my phone and picked up the pen, filling it out. "Is there something that prompted his walk?"

"We had a fight." I swallowed hard. "He's going on tour and has business in California. I'm moving to London for a few years. I was just telling him about London. He got mad and told me he needed air. So I let him go. He wasn't back so I came in. Please. He isn't an outdoor person. He should have been back last night." The officer nodded and took the clipboard back once I was done with it. 

"Can you show us where you're staying? Myself and another officer will escort you back and stay with you while search and rescue does their thing. I'm Detective Jacobson and this is my partner Detective Satterfield." A female officer materialized next to him. 

I nodded and turned to exit to get the truck. The cold morning air whipped around me and stung my eyes. The truck provided no help as the heat chose this moment to not work. The young detectives got into a large sedan type car and followed me back to our campsite. Once we were back, the officers asked me a few more questions then they sat me inside and told me not to worry.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Two hours had passed and they still hadn't brought him back to me.

I was just dinking around in the camper when two sharp taps came on the door. I opened it and officer Satterfield stood on the concrete. "He's at the local urgent care. He's awake and asking for you." My heart leapt in my chest.

"Take me to him." He nodded and I grabbed my keys, locking the camper and bounding down the steps and into the truck. The car rumbled beneath me and as the cruiser escorted me out into town, my heart raced. Please don't be seriously hurt, PLEASE don't be seriously hurt, Lin will absolutely kill me if you're seriously hurt, repeated in my head.  The cruiser stopped in front of the small, nondescript building marked with a simple, red sign that read urgent care. I threw the truck in park and jumped out, trying to keep some semblance of calm and collectiveness about me. 

But to hell with that, and burst through the door. "Hi, I'm here for Daveed Diggs?" I asked, the small prayer running through my head.

"Are you family?" The nurse asked.

"He's my fiance." The lie slipped easily from my lips.

"Room 27"

I tried to remain as calm as possible, navigating the halls of the urgent care. Room 27 came up on my left and I quietly knocked before opening the door and saw his massive form almost dwarfing the bed.  "You asshole. Don't you dare do that to me again." The words left my mouth as the door clicked shut and his eyes opened.

"Wasn't planning on it." He mumbled. 

"Can I come over there?" I ask, longing to make sure he's OK myself. 

"Yeah," His legs fold up and I sit sideways on the bed, the itchy blankets scratching at my legs. 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I just didn't know how." 

"Andrea.." He started. 

"No, please let me finish. Lin told me got this part a while ago and I didn't know if he wanted me to come with him or not so I just assumed not and then he told me he wanted me to go with him, I just didn't know how to tell you. I know you have stuff lined up after Hamilton and I didn't want to get in the way of that. I'm sorry I didn't tell you though."

"Andrea, that ring on that hand of yours means that I don't care if I have things lined up. I will be there for you if you need me. And being apart is gonna suck but I don't care. As long as I have you, I will be just fine. C'mon, lay down." He moved onto his side and pulled my body down with him until I was firmly against his chest, the two of us in a one person bed.