Chapter 1

I wake to my annoying alarm in the same room I've been in my whole life. I get out of bed and pick out some clothes before heading to the bathroom to take a shower. After I showered and get dressed I head downstairs where I know my mom, brother, and sisters are ready and eating breakfast. Well that's what I thought anyways. I reach the bottom of the stairs I hear mom laughing. I smile at the fact that she's laughing cause it took so long for her to start laughing after dad passed away. My smile dropped when I turn the corner into the kitchen and see her with some dude. They don't notice i've entered the room so I clear my throat and sit at the table. Mom looks up at me and smiles.
"Good morning Ava".
            "Good morning mom. Who is this?" I ask getting straight to the point and asking about the man sitting next to her. She gives him a look then replies "Why don't we wait for the others?" She asks which is more like telling me. I nod and start to pile my plate up with bacon and eggs. Soon after my sisters Jasmine, Ariel, and Sasha come down the stairs. Jasmine is 15 and  Ariel and Sasha are 5. I look to mom as they come down but she is to busy talking to the man to fix their plates. Sighing I get up and make each of them their plates and by the time I make their plates my twin brother,  Mason, comes down. We are both 18 and  seniors. As soon as he comes down I look at my mom and nod telling her to tell us what in the world is going on. She nods back and takes a deep breath.
"Kids, this is John" she points at the man beside her "and John and I are dating". She says looking at all of us. I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding in and look at Mason. He looks at me and we both smile. Mason and I have been trying to get mom to date forever and we are so happy that she is. Jasmine doesn't really care. I can tell because she's already on her phone texting away. She probably doesn't even realize what mom just said. The twins don't know what dating is and are eating their food. I stand up and hug mom while Mason walks over to John trying to seem intimidating. I almost laugh at his attempt. After Mason is done scaring John I walk over to him. He smiles at me and I smile back.
"Hi I'm Ava." I say sticking my hand out to shake his.
        "Hello" He says taking my hand and shaking it.
"I just wanted to thank you." I say.
           "For what?" He says a bit confused. I think about it. Why am I thanking a man I just met? I think back to walking down the stairs and hearing my mom laugh with someone who is not her kids. He makes her happy and that is something I am extremely grateful for. I mean in close to his ear.
"For making her happy." I whisper and walk away to put my plate up and go to gather everyone up so we can leave for school. I head upstairs to make sure Ariel and Sasha are ready. Opening their door I see that they are dressed and are now playing Barbies. I smile at the sight. They were to young to remember dad so they didn't have to go through the hurt but Mason and I have told them many stories so they would know their dad loved them.
"Girls it's time for school. Grab your bags and head downstairs." I tell them. They say okay and I head to my next stop. Jasmine's room. I knock and then open her door and see that she is also ready and is sitting on her bed with her phone. I walk and and sit beside her.
"Hey Jas, time to go to school. Grab your things and head downstairs." I tell her. She nods at me and I sigh. We aren't as close as we used to be. She was young when dad passed away but she remembers him and misses him greatly. She took it hard when mom shut herself up in her room and followed in mom's footsteps. The only difference is Jas hasn't come out of that stage. I walk into Mason' s room without knocking and go sit on his bed knowing he's not ready. I was right. A few minutes later my twin comes walking out of the bathroom after brushing his teeth, nods at me and grabs his bag. I stand up and we walk downstairs. I grab my keys and walk the little ones to my car and then we all pile in. We pull out of the drive way and Mason turns to me.
"Hey Ava?" He asks unbuckling so he can turn all the way towards me. I smack him but let him continue what he was saying.
"What do you think of John?" I give him a look as to say not in front of our sister's and he admidiatly understands. Just as he turns around we pull into the elementary schools and he helps me get the kids out. We walk them in and make sure their teacher knows they are here and then we head to the middle school to drop Jas off. Jas is supposed to be a freshman but she got held back the year mom locked herself in her room. We drop her off and start the drive to prison...opps I ment school.
As soon as we get on the main road Mason turns and looks at me. I sigh knowing exactly what he wants.
         "Mason, I don't know what I think ok. I don't know him that well but he seems to make mom happy and that's all that matters." I say not even glancing over him.
          "I know Ava I just...i don't know. I don't want her getting hurt especially since she's this far  and we are going to college next year." He says. I take a moment to glance over at him. He has been so strong through all of this and frankly I don't think I could get through this without him.
          " Mason, she deserves to be happy."
           "I know" he says as we pull into school. I grab my bag as he grabs his and we get out of the car.
            "Don't worry about it okay?"
             "Okay." He replies and with that we enter the school and go to first hour.