Chapter Sixteen

Start bij het begin

Holding back tears, I lift the ends around my neck and clasp them together. I twirl the tiny horse between my fingers a few times before putting it under my shirt so no one would see. It seems like a good secret to keep to myself and explaining how I received it to my parents doesn’t exactly seem like an enjoyable time for me right now.

Suddenly there’s a knock at my bedroom door and my heart begins to race. Not knowing who it is, I scramble to get the cloth back in Emery’s backpack and zip it up.

“One minute!” I call, trying to sound calm. As quickly as possible I shove Emery’s backpack underneath my bed and place my hands together on my lap. “Come in!”

The door slowly opens and Vince appears there. He’s dressed for farm work, with a plain bright green t-shirt and regular jeans.

“How are you holding up?” He asks gently, walking over to me. Without asking, he sits on the edge of my bed beside me and I resist the urge to move away.

“Fine,” I tell him quietly, avoiding his eyes as I stare at Emery’s mattress.

“That’s good,” he says, oblivious to the fact that I’m one-hundred percent not fine. “I wanted to know if you want to go into town to see a movie with me.” I see him smiling out of the corner of my eye. Emery never took me out to the movies or anywhere for a date. However Mary’s warning words float back into my mind, along with Emery’s and the whole apparently obvious reason I should be with him.

“Thanks,” I softly mumble, “But I think I just want to stay in today.”

“Okay.” He rises to his feet and squeezes my shoulder before heading to the door.

“Vince?” I call as he’s almost gone. He turns around and smiles sadly at me. “Can I ask you something and will you answer honestly?”

Shrugging, Vince leans against the door frame. “Sure, River.”

“Did you…” I trail off, almost not wanting to ask. “Did you see who put something in Emery’s drink?”

Something quickly flickers through Vince’s eyes. However before I can place it, it’s gone as fast as it came. Vince folds his arms across his chest and looks down at me, almost as if I’m unimportant to him.

“No, I didn’t,” he tells me flatly, without any emotion crossing his poker face.

“Are you sure?” I whisper, wondering if he knows something that I don’t.

“I said I didn’t,” he snaps, shoving his hands into his pockets. When he sees my startled face, he sighs. “I’m sorry,” he mumbles. “I’m just blaming myself for this happening.”

“Vince,” I sigh, as he walks over and sits beside me again. He rests his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands. “It’s not your fault.” As much as I don’t want to, I drape my arm around his shoulders and rub his arm in attempt to comfort him.

“I just wish there was something I could have done, or that I should have stayed with him,” he mumbles.

“Don’t beat yourself up,” I tell him, knowing somewhat how he’s feeling. “It’s not your fault in any way.”

He rises from his hands and meets my eyes. “You’re just saying that.” I shake my head and he smiles sadly at me. “You’re the best, River,” he murmurs, leaning close to my face. I don’t move away as I realize when I realize he’s about to kiss me. But before he can, the phone rings.

Jumping to my feet, I sprint out of my room and down the stairs. When I get there, my dad’s already talking on the phone. When he puts it down, he smiles at me and wraps me in an embrace.

“Emery woke up.”

Two Hours Later:

My parents call for me as I run down the hospital hallway, looking for Emery’s room excitedly. Vince chose not to come for some reason; however I don’t think Emery would appreciate if he came anyways. My heart skips a beat as the number on the hospital room matches the one a nurse gave me for directions.

I run into the room and don’t even have time to look at Emery as I wrap my arms around him. I breathe in the stale smell of cigarettes and sigh happily.

“I’m so happy you’re okay!” I tell him, rushing my words as if the world is ending. “I’m so sorry for not being there sooner and I’m just so happy you’re okay! I thought I lost you! Gosh, Emery, I just love you so much and-“ I suddenly as I pull away, taking in Emery’s appearance. He looks exactly the same except for his eyes. They stare at me in wonder. “Emery, what’s wrong?”

“There’s something you should know,” a nurse tells my parents, walking into the room. Emery and I stare at each other intently and I instantly know there’s something different about him. “He’s suffered some memory loss.”

I squeeze Emery’s hand tightly but he doesn’t do the same back. Instead he wiggles his hand out of mine and looks up at me curiously.

“Who are you?”