Safe (Bloody/ Gory Scenes- Not for Children)

Start from the beginning

I watched the man die. I watched as how fast I took his life away. He might have been a good person. He might have been a father or a son to someone who loved him dearly. And without any hesitation I took his life away.

I looked at Reece who stood up and took the sword from my trembling hands. I looked at him and fear came over me again; the fear of non acceptance. “I killed him,” I said as if convincing myself of the opposite.

“That’s my girl.” He enclosed me in a warm embrace and I pulled out to see if he was serious. He was.

“Reece, I killed him. I’m a murder.” I sounded like I was insisting something- that to him has never happened.

“You save me.” His statement took all my worries away. It’s not every day you see a guy who would accept you even if he saw you slash a man in half before his eyes.

“Will you be my boyfriend?” I asked hiding a smile. It’s also not every day that a girl proposes to a boy with dead bodies around so I think it’s the perfect time.

“I want to be your boyfriend like the North Pole wants to be with the South Pole.” He said, but I shook my head because had something much better.

“Is that a ‘yes’? Because I want to be your girlfriend like an electron wants to be with a proton.” I said and we both smiled. He didn’t know I got that one from a movie.

“Yes, it’s a yes and I’ve been waiting for that for more than 30 years.” He said as he planted a chaste kiss on my forehead.

We ran to the tree where he said he tied the horse but we were too late. The horse wasn’t there. Surely someone had cut the ropes and set the horse out on a run. And that someone was standing there, in front of us.

“Cornelia.” Reece spoke in recognition. His tone was dry; uninterested.

“Daniel,” She spoke his name in her usual Hispanic accent. She clearly swooned with the sight of him. I rolled my eyes with the sight of her swooning.  “I have missed you so, so much.” She said as she jumped to embrace my boyfriend. Oh my gosh, he’s my boyfriend. And this crazy Amazon is hugging him like koala on a branch.

Reece broke off the hug in reasonably hard push. That’s my boy! “What you have done Cornelia is a grave offense in reverence with Azura and the Great Leaders. His majesty the King, have given you a chance to live by alleviating your charges from death to banishment from your first misdemeanor. The kingdom, expected you to change your ways and never get near any Crowned Head ever again.” My jaw almost dropped at his Princie- Prince intergalactic words. I notice he has an accent hidden there somewhere.

“But This? Are you out of your mind? You have abducted the kingdom’s Crown Princess; your future Queen! Azura will not let this pass. The guillotine will be set in the middle of the citadel by sunrise.” My eyes widened with the anger that has just radiated. Guillotine? He’s beheading her!

Cornelia froze with Reece’s words. He held my hand as we turned to walk away. His tightening grip and his thumb mimicking windshield wiper motions made me feel safe, safe and cherished. I felt safe and I really thought I was, unfortunately I thought wrong.

One by one the nomads came out behind the trees. Five, eight, there were ten of them, carrying daggers and torches and stakes and axes. “Step back,” Reece whispered but I just practically stiffen. “Brought a few friends, Cornelia?” He asked her tauntingly as I looked back at angry Cornelia behind us.

She started walking towards us, slightly tottering. Her lips were quivering in a psychotic grin and in contrast to her cold eyes. “Winter of 1998, I was beaten and locked up alone in cold, dirty cell all because I pretended to be that worthless human- all because I wanted love in return; reciprocated at least. It was then that I promised myself something that I’ve been holding onto until this very day. I swore that if I cannot have you for myself, then no one will.” She said, smiling sweetly at Reece and placing her hands on her waist, her long nails painted black gracing her tight abs.