Chapter Two

The night rolled on, no sound could be heard in the three storey house... I knew that Everyone would be asleep by now, and as the tears rolled from my eyes I felt the need to leave at that moment in time. My brain's constant waves fluctuated, feeling the familiarity of family completely disperse into something I didn't know.

My family and I never really got on, they were all different to me, or I was different to them. The way my mind processed information differed, the whole house differed. Where as my demeanour seemed to affect them, I only saw the darkness in things and so my complaints would be overshadowed with a sense of discomfort in the world... Which is, why I so often found myself gazing out my bedroom window, or on the dunes looking out to sea wondering what it was like on the other side.

My mind that night was a mess, I knew I had to leave, but I was leaving my own flesh and blood behind to go somewhere to keep me safe. I felt selfish, selfish not only to my family but to everyone in the town. Many had left once the soldiers rolled in, enlisted, some days you would wake up to the scream of a mother when she found out that her son was 'killed in action' or a wife was left a widow when she would receive a telegram telling her that her husband, and soon to be a father was missing and that his body could not be located. It made me shiver, where was my brother?

Every since I was a little girl we had been best friends, his love for everyone and everything was amazing and considering he'd seen so much in his short life it didn't seem like it had effected him. He was two years older than me, twenty years old and no one had heard from him since the month he left, to serve for his country. Of course, after everything that has happened, nothing is the same.

The birds started to chirp, and a gust of wind bellowed past my closed window which in turn, shook the pane of glass as I woke with a gasp. "I must have drifted off to sleep eventually." I spoke to myself, looking at the old antique clock in the corner of my room, the time read seven and by the seagulls outside, morning. My eyes darted to the window, rain and wind? It's meant to be sunny in late May... Apparently not today.

I slowly rose from my bed, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from my eyes, My body felt drained... I didn't know if that was mentally or physically but I would assume it was mentally considering the events of yesterday. My small rucksack was sitting by the side of my bed, it's contents full of spare clothes and some tins I had gone and taken from the kitchen in my semi slumber, I knew that the cupboards at my grandparent's old home would provide us with some meals, but we'd have to raid the over grown vegetable garden for fresh stuff.

I extended my legs and stood up, catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror on the way to the door, My brown hair was falling in their untidy curls around my head while my eyes were red and bloodshot, a great look. I took my gown off of the chair and opened the door while trying to put it on. The house was still silent, perfect. I made my way to the bathroom, after I went back into my room and put on some clothes, a simple blue cotton dress and my shoes, picked up my rucksack and other bag and crept downstairs.

No one was up yet which meant I could raid the cupboards for some fresh items, a couple of slices of bread and some vegetables, I was good to go. I pushed the door handle down to exit the house, looking back only once to say bye... I didn't know if I was going to be able to come back after this all happened. That was when I heard it, the first sound of gunshots not too far in the distance. I should have ran back into the house but instead I slammed the door, grabbed my dad's bike and then took off towards Naila's house.

I got there in a matter of minutes, pounding on the door only for it to open in the midst of one of my vicious knocks. "We need to go, now" She looked confused for a second, before she must have heard a particularly loud BANG, and then she turned around grabbed her bag and followed me outside. The families bikes were left outside and she quickly snatched the bike that belonged to her. I gave her a puzzled look, "They said they didn't want to come, that they would be better off going up the coast and honestly I'll let them but I want to go now... It's close." I nodded, my foot going on the pedal and pushing down to get the bike to move, my hands were shaking by this point. The seriousness of the situation weighing down on me, my heart beating a million miles a minute.

I pedalled as fast as I could, heading west, towards the farm. My breathing was ragged and my legs were getting heavy, I looked behind me to see Naila keeping up, barely and struggling. Why didn't we leave Earlier? We could have gone yesterday. I stared straight ahead, determined to get there quickly. We needed to be safe. Finally, the farm was in sight and I could finally see the light. "We're nearly there Nay."

I could still hear the bangs but they were coming from behind us and seemed further than they previously were. As we got through the gates, I hopped off my bike and let it crash to the ground, pulling the gates up behind us. We were safe for the moment, not in the town. I collapsed on the floor, my hands going straight to my face. There was sweat dripping from my forehead, and it formed a layer on my hands. I took off the thin cardigan I had wrapped around my waist and used the sleeve to wipe my forehead, immediately cooling down. I don't want to do that again, no thanks.

Once I had enough energy I stood up, my eyes drifting over to Naila who was still recovering on the floor.

"We need to get inside, find out the best place to hide. If we need to."

************

Honestly, I'm so not used to writing this much, I haven't written anything but songs since I left school. Once again I know it's not that good but I'm honestly writing this for myself and my friend, more than anything.

I should be introducing the two characters I REALLY REALLY WANT TO INTRODUCE next chapter, which if I keep going at this speed could possibly be tomorrow... But who knows?

Anyway if you liked it then you should comment and vote and stuff, also I really appreciate constructive criticism...

until next time

R.