Special: Christmas at The Phantomhive Estate

Start from the beginning

Kat bit her lip, she knew how Martha felt, to be lonely and yet not wanting to bother anyone to relieve that loneliness. In fact, if she hadn’t found Sebastian and the others she would probably still be like that. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“Oh, no, it’s fine; it’s just being so close to the holidays makes me a bit lonely. Christmas is a time for family and giving, and its…it’s just hard to be in the spirit when there’s no one to share it with.” The clock on the mantle chimed, “Oh, my dear, I’ve kept you far too long, you should be going. If you ever think to stop by again, my door is always open.” She pressed the wrapped doll into Kat’s arms before ushering her out into the snow filled air, “Be careful now, it’s cold out, there might be ice on the roads!”

Waving goodbye, Kat set off down the road; Christmas is about family and giving…no…should I? Would it be too presumptuous for her to buy something for the others? She had plenty of money; it wasn’t like she spent the money the Earl paid her. But, what if they get mad at me for spending money on them? I know Sebastian hates it when the Earl buys silly things. Even if the Earl does it just to make Sebastian crazy…

The snow crunched under her feet with every step, what if I made them? What if I made the gifts myself, would there be a problem then? I wouldn’t think so, but what to make?

_____________________________________________________________

Kat stared down at the assorted materials in front of her, she had decided after all to make her gifts instead of buying them. She did however buy some of the materials; she’d had to make a special run to town the night after she had met Martha, to get what she needed.

She’d bought metal wire, strips of leather, a short bolt of cloth, needles, thread, a set of carving knives, and a few other odds and ends that she thought might come in handy.

Meyrin said Christmas was only a few days away so I’d best get started. During her shopping trip she had thought ahead a bit, she was going to make Meyrin a hairband. Kat took the thin metal wire and began twisting it, complex spirals, and designs began to form. She would do this to three strands of the wire connecting each piece to the last. At least that’s the plan; she thought as she worked, I haven’t really given the gifts for anyone else a thought. For Baldroy I can probably use the cloth to make him a pair of slippers, he’s been complaining about his feet hurting lately….hmmm, Vinny is easy, I’ll make him a pair of gloves, and reinforce them with the leather strips. But…the Earl and Sebastian…what to make for them?

She wound the last spiral on the head band and held it up to the light to inspect it, perfect.

_______________________________________________________________________

“Sebastian? What are you doing?” Kat peaked around the side of the manor, the tall butler was bent almost double, toying with something on the ground, he glanced back at her at the sound of her voice. “Ah, Kat…its nothing.” He stepped to the side, cutting of her view of whatever lay at his feet.

Mew, a tiny black and white head poked around from behind Sebastian’s shoes, bright blue eyes stared up at Kat, mew, said the little kitten. It took a few experimental steps forward before falling into a particularly deep spot in the snow.

The butler pulled the little creature out of its cold entrapment and cuddled it to his chest, “There, there now, it’s too cold to be wandering about like that.” He frowned at Kat, “I hope you won’t tell, the Earl he is not fond of cats and would make me abandon him, as you can see, he is a touch too small to be on his own.”