Matchmaker {Otabek Altin}

You were, and still are, best friends with Yuri Plisetsky. You met at Yakov's training camp, then continued to climb the ranks together in skating for years. People assumed often that the two of you were dating, but you both made it clear to each other long ago that there was no romantic attraction between you. Friends was all you would ever be, and you both enjoyed the security you obtained from that truth.

You each qualified for the Grand Prix Final in your respective categories and Yuri couldn't stop talking about destroying Viktor and other Yuri while you rolled your eyes and laughed at his anger. To your understanding, your friend of many years got reacquainted with a guy named Otabek Altin who he knew from your years as children. You hadn't attended Yakov's training camp at the same time as him, so you never met before.

You didn't mind that Yuri was spending more time with Otabek since you used those opportunities to practice by yourself or do some shopping and sightseeing. You didn't get invited along, but you didn't care as long as no one got murdered. The day you finally met Otabek, though, was something.

"Otabek and I are going to the cafe down the road; you should come," Yuri suggested as you walked through the hotel together.

"Why do I get invited now?" you questioned.

"I wanted to make sure he wasn't fucking creepy before you met him," Yuri defended.

You snickered at his protective behavior and nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice. You talk about him kindly and that's something you never do."

You talked with each other about the meeting a bit more as you exited the hotel and made your way down the dimly lit street. You arrived at the cafe where Otabek was already waiting for your arrival. Your first impression was that he was incredibly attractive and shy but, gradually, he loosened up later in the evening. You all ended up staying at the cafe until it closed as you shared stories and laughs around the table.

You hated to depart what seemed to be so early, but tomorrow was the final competition of the season and you all needed to get your heads on straight. You genuinely loved speaking to Otabek as you clicked in seconds and you knew the three of you, as obvious outcasts in the sport of skating, would bond and be great friends.

In regards to the final, you came in second, which was still extremely impressive for your senior debut while Yuri came in first and set some new records, then Otabek came in fourth. You were so proud that you cried when Yuri won and even hugged Otabek because you knew he, too, was just as happy for Yuri.

After the final, you and Yuri returned to Russia and Otabek to Kazakhstan. You were sad at that because you felt close to him in only days, but it didn't last for long since Otabek surprisingly moved to Russia to become a part of Yakov's team. The three of you were together constantly afterwards and you began to get closer and closer with Otabek, not that you noticed too much, but someone else certainly had.

"Do you like Otabek, (Y/N)?" Yuri asked as you were taking off your skates.

"Excuse me?" you said, confused.

Yuri groaned and leaned against the barricade. "Do you like Otabek?"

"We're friends, of course I do," you answered, putting your skates in your bag.

"No, like like him. Like you want to see him naked and stuff," Yuri elaborated.

"What?" you blurt. "No, no."

Yuri smirked. "Liar."

"Shut up, Plisetsky. I will burn you to ash," you growled, your grip tightening on your bag with unfamiliar defensiveness.

"I'm sure," he mocked. "He probably likes you too. Just ask him out."

"No."

At that moment, Otabek appeared with his own bag and sneakers on from around the corner. You gave Yuri a look in warning not to open his mouth again as the three of you went for lunch that day. You didn't need him knowing your dirty little secret, even if he was your best friend.

The teasing went on for weeks and you hoped Yuri would stop soon because you were about to push him off a cliff, but, alas, it didn't. He encouraged you to ask Otabek out, but how could it be that simple? Didn't he know that it was incredibly awkward to ask out a friend?

You grimaced at the thoughts that plagued you regularly as you trekked down the sidewalk to meet up with your boys to go see a movie. You spotted Otabek standing in front of the theatre in his dashing leather jacket when you approached and immediately was confused because Yuri said he was already there.

"Where's Yuri?" you asked simultaneously.

"He said he was with you," Otabek revealed.

"He told me he was with you," you replied.

Your cell phones went off at the same time and you took them out to see a text from Yuri in your group chat saying "Have fun on your date". Your heart leapt in your chest and you quickly put your phone in your pocket. Otabek looked just as uncomfortable.

"Sorry about this," Otabek instantly apologized, surprising you. "It was something stupid I told Yuri."

"What?" you inquired.

Otabek licked his lips nervously. "All I said was that I was really into you and he hasn't stopped bugging me about it for months."

You grinned. "Oh, I thought it was because of me," you responded, taking in a breath of cold air into your lungs to build up your confidence. "He kind of guessed that I liked you and he kept pushing me to ask you out. "

Otabek then smiled as well in realization. "I guess it's his stupid way of getting us alone, y'know."

"Yeah," you agreed, "but it worked, didn't it?"

"Yeah, it did," Otabek said, offering his arm. "Would you accompany me tonight?"

"I would love to," you answered, taking his arm and happily proceeding toward the entrance of the theatre.

Yuri looked on from around the corner and snapped a couple pictures like a true stalker as his plan went off without a hitch. He smugly swaggered away from the scene as you entered the complex, feeling extremely accomplished and pleased with himself. He cared deeply for his two closest friends and he was tired of watching the subtle flirting and nothing being done about it.

You, on the other hand, knew Yuri would brag about this for as long as he had vocal cords. You made a note to thank him anyway, because neither you nor Otabek would have gotten the courage to ask the other out. But you could also tease Yuri about this in return for being such a wingman. Who knew he had such a side to him?