Chapter 1- Death of a Birthday

"Hey Scarlett."

I looked up from the book I was reading and grinned at my best friend.

"Hi." I said, closing my locker.

"I can't wait for the Mother and Daughters Club! It will be so fun! Is your mom coming? I really hope so!" Taylor jumped up and down, squealing.

My smile wasn't a smile anymore. I put my head down and walked away, saying nothing.

"Oh. Oh no! I shouldn't have said that!" Taylor whispered to herself. "Scarlett! Oh my god, sorry! I forgot! I didn't mean to say that!" Taylor said as she ran after Scarlett.

Scarlett stopped walking and looked around. "Whatever, it's okay. Let's not talk about it again." Scarlett replied, forcing a fake smile." And plus, it's time to go! See you tomorrow."

"Okay. See you! Bye!" Taylor smiled back, a little unsure.

As Scarlett walked out of the school door, a car pulled up and she opened one of the doors.

"Hi, Dad."

"Hi, how was your day at school?" He smiled a little sadly. " You know what today is right?" He said mournful with a face of wry.

"Don't remind me." Scarlett replied as she started to cry. "Why did she have to leave us?! It was all my fault!"

"No it wasn't! Not at all! It was just an incident. I'm sorry Scarlett."

"Do we have to go to Grandma's?"

"Yes, of course. There, we will celebrate your birthday and..." He hesitated. "your mother's death..."

I started to cry even harder, missing my mom.

*Flashback

"Daddy, who is going to get the cake?" little Scarlett said, giggling.

"Oh, I forgot! Well, I will!" her mother said, holding up her hand like superman. Scarlett laughed.

"You sure? It's awfully dark out there." The Dad said.

"Yes, totally! Anything for my little sweetie!" She said, pinching Scarlett's cheeks.

"Alright, I don't want to argue with "Miss Boss". I will probably die." He and his wife laughed.

"So, I will be going, okay? I will be back in a few minutes."

"Okay, be safe!"

The mother laughed. "Yeah, I know! I'm not a little kid!" She bent down and kissed Scarlett. "Bye sweetie."

"Byeeeee mommy!! Bring chocolate cake!!" The cute kid laughed.

"Okay ma'am." She bowed.

Then she left out the door.

*30 minutes later.....

The worried father looked at his watch one more time, continuously walking around.

Scarlett was playing with her toys, and didn't pay attention to the delay in time.

"Where has she gone?" Beckett looked at his watch the last time as he called his wife. "She's not picking the phone!"

A few minutes later the home phone rang. "Who is it? Did Scarline lose her phone? Oh god." Beckett picked up the phone, crying and yelling a few minutes later. "WHAT?! YOU ALL ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!"

He hung up the phone wiping his eyes as Scarlett looked confused. "What happened Daddy?"

Beckett just said everything was fine as he called Scarlett's aunt, telling her everything. The aunt came in a few minutes, also crying and Beckett left the house, heading for the hospital.

As Beckett reached the hostpital, he ran to the room he was told on the phone. He pushed open the door, seeing his wife, Scarline, on the bed.

"Scarline!!" He cried. "What happened? No, no, no, no!"

The doctor pushed him away saying, "She got hit by a truck that couldn't see her. I'm sorry sir."

Beckett sat on one of the chairs, placing his head in his hands, crying.

"It's all my fault! I let her go!"

Then, suddenly, the machine started to beep then a long beep and stop. The doctor looked down and said, "I- I'm sorry. Your wife i-is gone."

"NOOOO! THIS CAN'T BE!" He ran to the bed crying and screaming. "MY DAUGHTER! MY 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!"

*End of flashback

Both father and daughter cried in each other arms, missing their beloved mother and wife.