Ray shook her shoulder. "Cacee?"

She jumped a little. "Huh?"

"Are you okay? I said your name twice. What's on your mind?"

She shook her hair in front of her face again as her cheeks burned. "Nothing. Sorry. Where was I?" She peeked at Ray.

His eyebrows rose, and he gave her a look that was distinctly disapproving, like he strongly suspected what had distracted her. Luckily, he didn't comment, other than to say, "You were telling me you bought the kid an art set." Somehow, he made the simple remark sound disdainful.

She frowned. "You don't have to sound so condescending. Jess has a lot of stuff he's good at. He's smart. And extremely talented. And funny. And cool to hang out with." Acutely aware of how easy it would be to continue this list until she sounded like Jess's personal cheerleader, Cacee made herself shut up.

Ray turned from her and hung up the drying towel on the stove. "I'm sure he's got... a few good qualities."

She stomped into the small living room and threw herself onto the plush suede couch. "This is getting old, Ray. I don't understand what you have against him. You don't even know him."

Ray followed her and threw his hands in the air. "That kid has a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas. He smokes, has a mouth like a trucker, carries himself like a hoodlum and fights like he's trained for the goddamn UFC. And I'm supposed to be okay with my daughter dating him?"

She drew back in surprise. Was that how adults viewed Jess? Like a hoodlum with an attitude? How did they see someone so very different from the guy she saw?

Ray sat down next to her and continued in a calmer tone, "I've been around his type a million times, hon. He's like a car that's been running hot his whole life, like someone locked him in high gear and left him on cinder blocks."

Ray made a winding movement with his hand and said, "Right now, he's spinning his wheels, going nowhere and overheating. But one of these days, something will break and he'll fly off those blocks. And when that happens, he will mow-down anyone who gets in his way. Anyone, Cacee. Even you."

He sounded so certain that her doubts about Jess floated to the surface. Determined not show Ray he was getting to her, she counteracted her confusion by glaring at him.

He didn't seem to notice as he continued, "I'm telling you, sweetheart. That kid is nothing but a tragedy waiting to happen. I don't want you within a ten mile radius of him, much less snuggled up in his arms."

She looked at her lap. Jess had lied to her. What if Ray was right, and she was wrong? What if Jess wasn't the guy she thought he was? But she'd been alone with him in a motel room. If he was somehow dangerous wouldn't that have been the time to show it?

But Jess had been...adorable. Sweet and awkward and so nervous he wouldn't even ask if he could kiss her, although her answer should've been glaringly obvious. And then they came here. And he risked his life trying to keep her safe.

From the day they'd met, all her instincts told her to trust Jess. She truly didn't believe he'd ever hurt her. And she refused to believe her own instincts could be so very wrong. 

Her brows drew together as she angled herself to face Ray. "How is it that I'm considered highly intelligent about academics but, when it comes to real life, adults assume I'm an idiot? You're wrong about him, Ray. He has some issues, but the good in him far outweighs the bad." She lowered her voice. "Besides, he's different with me. I can help him."

Ray's expression softened. "I should've known."

"Known what?"

A small smile played around Ray's mouth. "That you'd be the type to want to rescue the wounded loner."