Chapter 1:

MAYURA

It's been months since I started my Heavenly Commander training. I wouldn't say that I haven't improved but there is still a huge gap between me, Rokuro, Adashino-san and the rest of the Heavenly Commanders. Every time we hold a meeting, I feel so ashamed of myself. I feel like a total noob. I know that everyone is trying to be patient with me but I see their gazes, their eyes full of doubt and disappointment.

I haven't done any mission to Magano ever since. That lowered my self-esteem greatly. It's a good thing that Shimon-kun was supervising and training me. I feel the most comfortable with him though he acts cold most of the time. I just wish that oto-san could be the one to train me but no. He isn't allowed to the island anymore. It sucks big time.

It's a shame too that I haven't been able to see Rokuro often. He's been lodging at the old Adashino home and I at the Amawaka clan's. We were both quite absorbed with our own activities and training. Again it sucks.

"Focus Otomi." Shimon's clipped tone brought me back to reality.

We were currently sparring at the training center of the headquarters. It's all still the same, me getting battered and beat up.

Shimon swiped his sparring stick beneath my knees and I hit the floor again.

"That's enough for today." Shimon turned his back on me. Instead of sulking like I usually do, I ran to him and caught his arm.

He was so surprised that I almost laughed if I wasn't so tired.

"O-Otomi? Wh-what is it?" He asked gaining composure again.

"Shimon let's eat out together." I flashed a friendly smile at him.

It was probably because I felt lonely that I took the courage to ask him. Shimon Ikaruga was not a distasteful person to say, at least. Though he seems cold, he seems passionate of the things he cares about. His future lover would be so lucky.

I'm not asking him out because I like him (though I can't deny that he is physically attractive) but we have never bonded as friends just coworkers. It would be nice to know more about the person I spent a quarter of my time here on the island. He still remains a mystery to me.

"Let's refresh first before going out." I said heading towards the showers. I learned the difference between the male and female showers. It would be much better if there isn't any reenactment of our ill first meeting.

We were now strolling the commercial area of Tsuchimikado island. It was pretty normal with all the people buzzing around, cooing at pretty and wicked items. It was awkward because me and Shimon had never went out without an agenda of buying new equipment and so we remained a distance between each other.

We ate a ramen shop and the owner insisted to put it on the house as he was starstrucked by us, Heavenly Commanders. I blushed deeply. I wasn't great or anything. The title of Heavenly Commander was too misleading but it fits Shimon. He was powerful like that. He and the others were on a different league. I felt like I was just 'promoted' because of my patriarchy. I knew there were a lot of exorcists on the island felt the same way. If they were a bunch of high school girls, I would probably had an anti-mayura squad.

But being Byakko, I felt good. The shikigami had a strong desire to protect those he cares about and I feel mutual about it. If I could muster more courage and power, I would be proud to call myself, Byakko of the Twelve Heavenly Commanders.

I looked at my red-haired partner. The famous Suzaku. My mind wondered if I would be ever able to reach his level. I hope so. If Byakko deemed me worthy to be oto-san's succesor, then why not? Shimon was only fourteen when he became a heavenly commander. Though he had been in training since birth, I plan on being equals with him.

One thing I noticed about Shimon was that he was actually a shy boy. I almost laughed out here in the streets. He would put on a resting bitch face here in public but would blush at every flattery and admiration. Though we weren't speaking, I felt relieved that I wasn't alone.

SHIMON

Mayura Otomi was a very expressive person. Not through her words but through her eyes. They were blue but a different hue from mine. A bit on the darker side but it shined bright with innocence and sincerity. It was almost impossible to believe that she was Seigen-san's daughter. My mentor was quite the opposite.

I never been dragged out like this by someone, much less a girl (with an exception of Chiiko back at the mainland). But to take into consideration that she was currently my student, I shrugged off the situation.

"Shimon." She called out my name. There were her eyes again, displaying hope this time. "I kind of miss Sayo-san. I'm hoping if I can visit her today." She beamed brightly.

My eyebrows furrowed. Didn't she feel at least uncomfortable back at the Ikaruga home? I know that the Ikarugas are quite hospitable but they tend to get...carried away.

Another thing that bothered me was when Otomi and Rokuro first came to the Ikaruga house, Chiiko greeted her as 'sister-in-law'. During that time, I felt red hot embarassed. Ma-I mean, Otomi and I don't have that kind of relationship. We are colleagues and I do love professionalism.

I looked distantly avoiding her genuine eyes, "Sure. I bet Chiiko has been dying to talk to a female friend."

I almost lost my composure when the proximity between us lessened. She looked at me straight at the eye daintily, "You care so much for your little sister. I'm all jelly." She giggled.

Jelly? Though I am just two years older than her, I am not quite used to the lingo our generation uses. Probably because I worked too much.

"It means I am jealous." Otomi laughed light-heartedly, "I wish I had a onii-san like you."

I didn't know why but I felt like my senses went numb. It was like I didn't want those words at all. I wish she could take it back.

I shook my head to erase these thoughts. Otomi Mayura is my colleague and student. Nothing more nothing less.

"Let's go?" She smiled and turned her back walking through the crowd. I followed her.

Gah why do I feel so stupid? I feel so shy and timid like...like the me from before! It was certainly an overwhelming feeling but I do not dislike it. I must be mental right now.

Otomi and I walked to the Ikaruga home due to my disagreement in taking transportation. We had been quiet throughout the walk. I can't bring myself to say anything and neither can see. I hope no one sees us.

"Waaahhh look at Bird-maru and the kitten going on a date. Aren't you guys the cutest?~"

I was really ticked off. Out of all people, it had to be Unomiya Tenma.

"How many times do I have to tell you my name is not Bird-maru?" I gritted my teeth.

"You-you got the wrong idea!" Mayura stammered with a red face.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." He cackled.

"Get lost Tenma." I said crossly. Though I give due respect to him being the strongest, his personality annoyed me greatly along with his annoying nicknames.

He just laughed and left just like that.

"Was he always like that?" Mayura asked with a hint of red on her cheeks.

"Yes." I answered with a scowl.

-----

Hellloooooo

So recently I got into Sousei no Onmyouji particularly the manga and can't help but ship these two 😂

Look how cute Shimon is trying to deny his feelings HAHAHA

I will probs update when I have time and I have a busy sched right around the corner so wish me luck!!

Don't be a silent reader!