Fright night

You know those stories that you were told when you were little? About the Princess, who needed saving, and her prince that always came to save her. Well, that's too bad that things, like that, don't happen here. Or maybe they do, but they don't ever happen to me. I call it The Curse that was passed down to me, from my Dad. So if you ask me happy endings don't exist.

My name is Carter, and this is my fairytale. So you know, how people want their happy endings? Well, my dad almost got his but, my Mom surprised him, with me. The sad thing is.... I wasn't my Dad's happy ending. So like any other coward, he disappeared and left me with what I call The Curse. The Curse is really just a bunch of unfortunate events that have happened since I was born. My father left me with my mother who soon became an alcoholic, due to the stress of raising a child by herself. So my grandmother came along and helped to raise me but, The curse gave her cancer. I like to think of my grandmother a knight, fighting on the front lines for a kingdom that's bounded to crumble into rocks with dust in the wind one day. Like I said this world isn't a storybook, but her fight will be over soon and no spell can wake her up once she's gone.

I am one of those "Rebelling teens" as my dean likes to say. I just think that I am a normal teen who doesn't like for people to push me around. And as much as I drink and go to parties I am still a virgin and I have never smoked. All of which surprises my Friend Dylan. I met Dylan after I tried to steal l his bike, he ended up giving the bike to me anyway. Ever since then we have been the best of friends. Which reminds me, I need to get ready for this party." I closed my journal I hide it in its usual place.

After getting dressed I did some dark makeup and walk into the living room. My mother was passed out on the couch. I had a hated seeing her like this, drunk and confused. Even though she always blames me for my father leaving, I want to make proud of me like I'm worth it. I waited for my boyfriend Jason to pick me up. After standing for five minutes I realized he wasn't coming to get me. So I started walking to the party, I had planned my verbal attack on Jason. I liked to hit people where it hurts. Emotional destruction was my prodigy, if that person didn't hurt me first then I hurt them. I never let people get close, the only person that is close to me is Dylan.

Sometimes, I don't understand why I stay with Jason. I guess it's the fact I don't want to feel alone, with my grandmother going to her chemo sessions was always by myself.
I had a younger brother but he lived with my aunt I only see him on the weekends.

"Hey, bitch!"Jess slurred as I walked up the steps. Ignoring her I went inside, straight to the kitchen. That's where I found Jason holding a cup of god knows what. The room reeks out alcohol and sweat.

"Hey, princess! You almost missed this banging party."He slurs. I could almost taste the liquor on his breath. Which makes me fill with rage.

"I had to walk here because you forgot to pick me up." I try to speak calmly. But my attempt fails because some drunk assholes stare at me.

"Calm down princess get a drink and get out my face." He says pushing me out the way gently, before heading towards his friends. He embarrassed me. I grabbed a water and walked out to the backyard. Just to my luck, I wasn't alone. A tall,peach-skinned, guy stood before me.

"Oh sorry. I can go back inside if you want?" He says. This guy was buff in the torso area and had a firm jawline.
He was wearing, what I think was supposed to be a loose fitted, grey shirt, and a pair of black skinny jeans.

"No it's fine." I curtly responded not really trying to have a conversation with him. I stare off into the distance at the lake and trees ahead of me. The boy stays silent also writing something down quietly in a journal.

Taking in the scene, I began to let the demons in my head speak. When you grandmother dies she'll finally be away from you. Jason is probably fucking one of those girls in there, you can give him what he needs. That's why your father left. You are a mistake. If you weren't here you mom would be happy. I had began to silently cry without out knowing.
 Warm tear trickled down my cheeks, I tried to hold my breath whimpering.

"Are you okay?" The random boy asks, closing his journal and kneeling in front of me.

"I'm fine. Why don't you mind your damn business." With that I began, to off towards the lake. Leaving the boy in confusion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I walk along the edge of the lake my phone lit up.

10:30Mom: get me some more cigarettes please I'll pay you back
10:35Mom: hurry up
10:40Mom: carter you are grounded if you don't get your ass back here
10:58Mom: forget it you worthless piece of shit I walked

Taking a deep breath, I returned my phone back to my pocket. The wind kissed my cheeks and nipped at my nose. Beginning to walk home, walking now down the street
I heard muffled voices in the distance. Two husky men stood on the sidewalk. They both looked to be in their forties and as if they hadn't washed in days. This is why Grandma says not to walk alone at night dumbass. Groaning, I turn the other way and keep walking. Footsteps began to ring in my ear. I speed up the pace.

Calm down walk faster. My heart pounds against my chest, thump!thump!thump!
They are getting closer! The steps get louder. I stop in my tracks and before look I turn around slamming my palm into the persons face, kneeing them in the balls, and stepping on their foot. I dart down the sidewalk running into a store. The cashier at the counter looks at me with warning eyes before returning to her magazine. Fuck you. I flip her off and stick my tongue out. She can't see you dummy and if she did you'd be fighting her.  I took this chance to catch my breath. I couldn't have been killed or raped! The door opens and my heart drops. Oh no. My pulse quickens, incomes that same guy from earlier but with a bloody nose. He stares straight at me.
Shit.