Chapter 24: The Domino Effect

Börja om från början

“All right for what?” Keegan challenged. “Just sit back and watch the Republicans take everything? Kill everyone? No thanks.”

Well what are we doing now?” Liam said, his voice instantly switching from calm defiance to outrage. “Sitting around here refusing to go outside? And what were we doing before? Bringing attention to ourselves by waltzing into a Republican party? Storming into see Peter Delmort with a plan we still have no evidence existed? Tell me Keegan, honestly: what are we?”

I could tell Keegan was stumped. All he ever wanted to do was keep his group safe, but by forming the group he had opened us up to so many dangers. But I knew he'd stay regardless, even if there was only one other person to stay with him.

But I wouldn't be that one person.

“I'll go with you, Liam,” I said finally, my voice shaky but my mind made up. I felt tears sting my eyes as I looked towards Keegan. I'm sure that what I saw in his eyes was disappointment, but yet so many other things; sadness, anger, frustration.

“What? Are you se-” Liam started, before realising he was meant to be encouraging my decision. “I mean, that's great! I'm glad; you're arguably in the most danger, Cass.”

“Actually,” I said, still looking at Keegan, “you are.”

“I can look after myself, Cass,” he said, his lips tight.

“I'm sure you can,” I said softly, “but staying here won't help.”

“But I have to stay here,” he said, looking around at all of The Outcasts. “We can't just all leave here and expect to be okay. A massive group of wanted rebels trudging about the streets? I don't think so. If you want to go, Cassidy, then go. I won't stop you.”

Part of me wished that he would stop me. That he'd persuade me to stay with him and we'd keep each other safe. But that couldn't happen. I knew I needed to leave, even if it meant leaving some people behind.

Tears began to trickle down my face, and I quickly turned in my chair in an attempt to hide them.

“Okay, anyone else?” Liam asked the group, but I didn't recognise any of the voices that spoke. I was too busy curling myself into a ball, my back towards the group to pay attention. That meant that the only people that would be going with Liam and me would be the ones that I didn't know. I hadn't heard Xavier, or Ariana, or Graciella, or even Acacia speak, though I wish they would have. They'd be staying here while I went off into the unknown, and they would have each other through everything.

That's when I thought of Emmy, and I forced myself to turn around to see those that were leaving with us all risen from their seats. Emmy – tucked away on the far side of the tables between Xavier and Liliana, who were still seated – looked at me the same way Keegan did. I didn't understand why she wouldn't leave – she knew better than anyone about the dangers of being on the wrong side of current society.

“Alrighty then,” Liam said, clapping his hands together again. “Let's head on out.”

“What about supplies?” a girl asked.

“The supplies here belong to The Outcasts,” Liam replied. “Besides, these guys obviously don't plan on heading out any time soon – best to give them the a shot of surviving with the small amount of food they have left.”

“Your optimism astounds me,” Xavier remarked.

“Thanks bro,” Liam smiled, “guess we'll be seeing ya.”

“Wait, we're going now?” I said hurriedly, rising from my seat.

“Well, yeah,” Liam said, confused at my concern. “What's the point in sticking around?”