Prologue

*2 Years Before*

"Harry, I can't change his mind. We leave in a few days." my voice is filled with sorrow as I sit in my bedroom, packing up boxes with my best friend.

"But we just started high school! How about you stay with us and your parents can just go to New York for work. I mean my mum and dad already look at you like their daughter and I think Gem likes you more than she does me. I'm not going to survive without you!"

I laugh at his whining. Harry will have no problem at all making it through high school without me. He had this charm about him, ever since we were kids, and he just lights up any room he's in. Our mums used to make us put on shows and sing together for family videos, and Harry always had quite the comedic kind of character. "Trust me Haz. You'll be okay. We'll talk everyday and you can come to New York and visit for Christmas! "

Harry pushes his floppy, curly mop out of his face and pouts. "You're going to forget me."

"We're best friends!" I remind him, holding up my wrist to show the matching leather bracelet we got with each of our names on it. I grab his wrist and take off his bracelet with his name, and put it on my own wrist. Harry reciprocates the action with my bracelet, just barely being able to close it.

"Madelyn please don't leave. Nothing is going to be the same." He looks down and a tear escapes and trickles down his cheek.

I'm quick to wipe it away but find myself tearing up too, "Don't you dare cry Harry. I swear if you do I'll...I'll...I don't know but you'll make me cry too!"

Harry chuckles and gives me a tight hug. "Promise you'll come back?" He sticks his pinky out, indicating for me to lock mine with his. Ever since we were little pinky swears were like Harry and I's thing. To us, they were unbreakable.

"I pinky promise I'll come back. Just for you. Just you and me Mr. Styles." I smile and hug him tight.

"Against the world Miss Porter." He gives a light kiss on my forehead and flashes his kid like grin. I was sure going to miss my best friend, since he is such a huge part of my life, but I know not even 5000 miles across the country will break our friendship.

Or so I thought.