Chapter 1: the day a part of me died

My hazel eyes stare back at me as I look into the mirror. I comb through my waist length blonde hair as I was get ready for the reaping.

" Hali, come eat breakfast and I'll do your hair !" Mom called from downstairs.

I run down the stairs and sit at the table with my brother, his hazel eyes and blonde hair matching mine perfectly. Mom begins to braid my hair as I eat.

" so Hali , you ready for the reaping? I think I might volunteer this year" my brother says calmly

I roll my eyes " we're only 15, don't you think you should wait a year at least Liam?"

Mom joins the conversation by stating that our older sister, Caroline won when she was 18.

"Exactly ! So I would wait if I were you"

It's Liam's turn to roll his eyes " you guys just don't have any faith that I can win"

"oh honey we believe you , we just think you should wait. But what ever happens I know you will make me proud. " mom states as she finishes braiding my hair.

I go back up stairs and put on a simple black dress. I start getting nervous , realizing that I don't want Liam to volunteer. Even though we are careers I don't want to go to the hunger games and I don't want my brother going in either. Sure Caroline won but she came close to dying many times. I put on a pair of sandals and meet my brother at the door.

"If it makes you feel any better I'm not going to volunteer this year" he says

Relief flows through my body and I relax. Mom and Dad come downstairs and we walk to the square; Caroline is already there because she's a mentor.

Liam and I separate from our parents and join our designated sides. I talk with my friends until district 4's escort walks on to the stage. This year she has bright blue hair and and a gold dress.

" Welcome, welcome to the reaping of the 57th annual hunger games !!!!" She says cheerfully. "And may the odds be ever in your favor"

I zone out when the video about why the hunger games exist is shown, waiting impatiently for the whole reaping to be over. I had planned to go to the beach with my friends later.

"...... and as usually ladies first"

I jolt back to reality, suddenly nervous.
The escort reaches in the bowl and pulls out a name.

" the Female tribute for the 57th hunger games is ........ Hali Sparrow!"

My heart sinks and I felt like throwing up. There is no way it's me , this can't be happening. I am a career though and I must act;  I walk confidently up on stage , keeping my facial expression neutral.  My heart pounds and I wait for the male tribute to be chosen.

" now for the boys!!!"

The escort reaches into the guys bowl of names and pulls one out.

"The male tribute of district 4 is Liam Sparrow !!!!"

The crowed gasp in shock and I cry out in alarm. This has to be a dream this can't be happening ! Holding back tears I watch Liam walk up on stage. He's smiling but I can see in his eyes that he's devastated.  I glance around looking desperately at the kids in the crowd , wanting someone to volunteer for my brother. No one does.

The escort ask if we are twins and we nod.

" well everyone give a hand for this years tributes for district 4 !!!! "
***********************************

So that was my first chapter guys!!!!! What do you think? Leave comments and suggestions. Should I continue writing this story ?