1-Rowan

As Rowan settled down in the big four-poster he should have been thinking about the coming term. For some reason, though, his mind kept turning to Joel. The small, blond boy had looked so hurt when they had judged him on the Hogwarts Express. But really, what had he been supposed to do?

The one with the real problem was Tabby. The hypocrite! She'd pretended to be a Ravenclaw - maybe she couldn't have known, but still! She was the one being cruel to Joel! It wasn't him! And Chloe was fine, too. It was just that Tabby! After all, she was a Slytherin.

It was strange. Rowen had felt a real friendship forming with Tabby, before she was Sorted. And didn't she have a sister in Ravenclaw? She hadn't seemed that evil exactly, but that just went to show. Rowen sighed and turned over in the luxurious bed.

His short, cropped hair scratched the pillow and he impatiently brushed a dark strand off his forehead. It was a shame, all right. Tomorrow, as soon as he saw Joel, he would go and apologize. With a huff, he turned over into his side.

He hoped that Chloe would still be friends with him, even though she was a Ravenclaw. Everyone knew that Ravenclaw was all right. Gryffindor was the best, of course, then Ravenclaw, then Hufflepuff. And again- the guilt. Hurting a Hufflepuff was like kicking a puppy. It shouldn't be done.

He huffed angrily and bashed his head into the pillow with a grunt. He heard a noise from the bed next to him and sat up, eager for a distraction.

"Hey!" He hissed at the boy next to him, "Whatcha doin'?"

"Nothin'." The boy muttered and turned over. Rowan sank back down onto his pillow, disappointed.

He didn't notice when he fell asleep.

He woke early, excited for the first day. As he dressed for breakfast, he thought about seeing Chloe. It would be great to chat with the pretty brunette again. Would she sit with him?

Joel was just a tiny spot at the back of his mind.

On his way down to the Great Hall, he saw Joel with another boy.

"Hey, Joel!" He called, jumping up and down and waving. His enthusiasm only earned him a glare from the boy, and Joel didn't seem to see or hear him.

Ignoring the strange looks older students were giving him, Rowan speed walked over to Joel and the other Hufflepuff.

"Joel!" He grinned, slightly quieter now, "Look, about yesterday-"

"He doesn't want to talk to you." The other boy snapped, pushing past Rowan and leading Joel away. "You're so discriminatory. How dare you!"

He left Rowan standing there, feeling strangely flat, like a bottle of firewhiskey with the top left off. This feeling didn't last long, though, and a surge of anger poured through him. Why should he be treated like... like a Slytherin! He wasn't Tabby!

With resentment simmering inside him, Rowan lifted his head and marched through the doors into the Great Hall.