Chapter 37: Our Destination is Far Away

Start from the beginning

Slate.

Before I even get the chance to greet him, he's already picking up my papers, "Sh*t. Sorry dude." I reach forward to get the papers away from him because I know by now that he's nosey. He steps back, his interest suddenly captured. "Ooooh, what's this? Lookie here." 

I don't have the strength nor the patience to put up with him today, "Give it back Slate."

He doesn't listen and reads the first line out loud, "Student transferring documents." he throws his head back and laughs because he went against what I asked, he loved doing that. I know that the words he just read have yet to sink in. I grab the papers out his hand whilst he's distracted. It's like a light bulb is flickering over his head as the words come to register. I don't wait around for his queries as I shove past him and move out toward the parking lot where my car was waiting for me. "You're leaving?!" I hear him call from behind, but I pay no heed to it. 

I unlock the car door and get in, preparing to leave, but Slate prevents that and stands right in front of my car, making this so much more difficult for me than it has to be. I roll down my window, "Get out the way Slate or I ram you over!"

He doesn't listen and instead lays down in the middle of the road, blocking my way of exit. I mutter curses beneath my breath and get out the car to remove him myself. He sees me and quickly jumps up because he's well aware of what is coming, "You can't just leave. Where are you going to go? You were just going to leave without so much as a 'bye Slate, have a nice f*cking life'."

"It's not my choice. Libby, my mother, asked me to move back to New York. I didn't want to say goodbye because that would mean that I was sealing the deal, making it permanent." I explain, tired.

"So it's not permanent then?" Slate asks, somewhat peeved off.

"Dunno." I shrug, "Only time will tell."

"Well when are you leaving?"

"In a couple days. Don't worry, I'll be sure to stop by to say goodbye."

"Cool. That means that I still have time to throw you a farewell party."

The weight of guilt hits me full force. I don't like the sound of the hope in his voice. It was in vain. I came into this town a liar, I don't want to leave a liar, "Actually I'm leaving in four hours. I lied the first time."

"What?" Slate asks, baffled, "You can't be serious. Please, you can't just leave. Don't make me beg. You're my best bud. What am I going to do without you?"

"You'll be a lot better off without me."

"You'll visit though, right? Summer vac?" he asks, hopeful as he removes himself out the way without even realizing it.

I climb back into the BMW, "Can't make any promises." I say and then put foot down on the accelerator before he tries to stop me or convince me otherwise.

*       *       *       *

I drive toward the house where I know she is staying. I know that if I ring the monitor that I'd just be alerting Drew of my presence and I doubt that he wants to see me at all, even if it is to say goodbye. I use my old way of getting in by jumping the gate. I walk up his long driveway and head for one of the many back doors that Drew never locks because he doesn't know about it. It is similar to a secret passage and that's how I and she always break into his house.

I climb up the stairs leading to the bedrooms. I know this mansion like the back of my hand. He is my best friend after all, but I am not here to see him. I round the corner and wait in the passage way because I know that she's heard me. She'd be here any second now.