Chapter 3: Games

Chapter 3: Games

Cotis was waiting, on my bed when I got to my room. But he wasn't facing me when I emerged from the passage. He showed no sign of having heard the small 'click' of the latch as the secret door closed. He just sat there.

Then I heard him mutter "I should have never left him. I knew he would disappear. I'm so stupid."

He buried his head in his hands whispering barely audible "Please if anyone of the gods are listening, please let Jeremy be alive, please."

"Cotis," I asked softly. He jumped up and engulfed me in a hug.

The "You're alive," he exclaimed squeezing me even tighter.

"Why wouldn't I be," I asked confused. Cotis pushed me away harshly.

"You idiot. I told you not to disappear and what do you do, you disappear. I thought you were dead." His face showed anger but his eyes were filled with relief.

I was still confused, "But why would I be dead?"

Cotis sighed, "Last night, we had been searching for you for hours when we found him. An assassin, he started to boast about how he had killed you. He ... he told us how he split your throat and watched the life leave your eyes and your blood stain the floor. Then Sam drove his sword through his heart, silencing him. We searched everywhere but could not find you. I came here in case you weren't dead and decided to come back to your room. I thought you were dead. I had given up hope. I thought he had killed you. His hands were covered in blood when we found him. I didn't think you survived."

"Cotis," I spoke slowly, "He had to have killed someone if his hand were covered in blood. Do you know who he killed?"

Cotis shook his head, "We did not find any bodies. He might not have killed anyone."

"But then where did the blood come from?"

"Lots of things bleed Jermy not just people. It could have been the blood of any number of things."

"I guess," I said not convinced.

Just then there was a knock at the door. Cotis got up to answer it with his hand on his sword. It was a page.

The page said, "My prince, the king requests your presence in the throne room immediately."

"Tell him that I will be there shortly," I said dismissing him.

The page left and I pushed Cotis out of the room so that I could change out of my sleeping garments.

I arrived at the throne room exactly five minutes later. With all my guards in tow, I could see the effects of last night search on their faces. I had tried to send some of them to bed in their chambers but none of them would leave my side.

Father was surrounded by people. It was Thursday and on Thursdays, we open the castle for our citizens to come and ask for our help. Father turns most of them down, only helping anyone for show but they came all the same.

As I drew closer I noticed that the people around him were not our people but his advisors and the captain of the guard. Their hushed talking ceased as I approached. They bowed to me but didn't say a word.

Father ignoring me, instead of addressing Cotis, "I can see you have found him. Assassins are full of games, you must learn to see through their lies for their games are not harmless games. They pull information out of you without you having to utter a single word. They play with trickery, lies, and deceit, to gain the knowledge that they seek. Learn their game and you shall become the best guard in the palace."