3

I bolted upright just before the crack of dawn at the sound of someone knocking on my door.

"Your Majesty," Anastasia's panicked voice floated through the thick doors.

Disoriented, I stumbled my way to the door and ripped it open. I knew I looked like a train wreck; I hadn't been sleeping well in the weeks since William left and it was starting to take a toll on my well being. Naturally, I was furious with my deteriorating health. I was a vampire, dammit. I was supposed to be immune to illness but without William, I felt myself growing weaker. If he would just let me reject him already I could start to rebuild myself but clearly, he was either sadistic or stupid.

"What," I demanded.

"Hello to you too, Lilith," William's alluring voice fell from the darkness.

I was instantly on alert. What the hell was he doing here? I hated my treacherous body for responding to his stupid voice even after he had left me with no contact for weeks. Weeks!

My attention shot to Anastasia. She was nervous and slightly shaking in fear of facing my wrath.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty," she stuttered, " I tried to stop him but he insisted."

I rolled my eyes, "Leave."

She scurried off, thankful I wasn't going to come down too hard on her right now.

"What do you want," I asked coldly.

"I came to see you," he said as if it was the most obvious thing.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?"

He looked down at his watch, "Four."

"So you couldn't wait until dawn?" I asked.

"No."

No? Just as simple as that? To say I was confused was an understatement. I didn't understand what the hell was going on or why he was here.

"You disappeared for weeks."

"I did."

I scoffed, "Well, what the fuck, William?! You can't just disappear and then expect me to-to-" I let out a sound of frustration because I couldn't even fathom a response to him!

"To?" He prompted, amused by my response.

"Why are you here?"

"To see you."

I shook my head in disbelief and straightened, "I'm not playing these games with you. I haven't slept in weeks and I am exhausted. Leave."

I started to shut the door but his hand stopped me from slamming the door in his face.

I scowled at the intrusion but couldn't do much to stop it. He stepped inside and closed the door, successfully locking us away from the world.

"You know I'm the only thing that will help you sleep," he said. There wasn't a trace of arrogance in his voice which shocked me. It was very matter of fact.

"I'll take the deprivation," I said flatly.

"I seriously doubt that. Come on, Lilith. Drop the act for a few hours."

It was only then that I noticed how exhausted he looked. His skin was pale when I first saw him but it had taken on an ashy tone, making him look near death. He wasn't any thinner but he somehow didn't look nearly as healthy as he did. He didn't hold that same exuberance. The lack of sun and moonlight casted a dark shadow over his imposing figure but did nothing to illuminate him like when I first saw him.