04: banks

"Please, there's really no reason for this."

"You're absolutely right, y/n!" Jerome laughed, pointing his index finger as a gun at you, "That's the thrill of it; there really is no reason for me to do this."

"Then let me go. You just said so yourself - you don't need to do this,"

Jerome grinned, opening his mouth to begin talking, until Greenwood began his descent down the marble steps in the bank.

"The cops are on their way," He informed the ginger.

"Excellent."

You looked out to the glass doors in front of you, hopelessly searching for any signs of flashing red and blue lights. You subtly struggled against the restraints on your wrists, but it was no use.

"Get comfortable," Jerome said, prodding your shoulder with the muzzle of his gun. He reached into his pocket and retrieved a black box with a red button. A detonator. "It's gonna get a lot hotter in here later on." Jerome stated, glancing fascinatingly at the crates of explosives.

You gulped, repeating the action you had performed so many times that night. Your nails were creating crescents in your palm as you balled them into firm fists, your heart thudding in your chest. I'm never working the night shift again. You thought. You know what? I'm quitting. Sorry, Sarah.

Jerome pulled back his sleeve, revealing his pale wrist and a shiny watch wrapped around it. "Just a couple more minutes, now." He announced. Greenwood gave a hoot of joy. Beads of sweat trickled down your forehead like hot needles.

"What are we waiting for?"

"The go-ahead."

"From who?"

"I can't tell you that." Jerome answered. "Obviously."

You pushed further. "Am I going to die tonight?"

Jerome tilted his head, with pursed lips. "You ask a lot of questions."

You bit your lower lip. This guy was impossible to negotiate with. He had no drive, no motivation. As far as you could tell, Jerome did this purely for the fun of it. And that scared you.

You could hear distant sirens, growing ever closer. Shit, do they know about all these explosives? You thought frantically. What will the radius of the explosions be? How many people are gonna get hurt?

You closed your eyes, trying to calm yourself.

"Don't go falling asleep on me now, y/n." Jerome said, kneeling down in front of you. He was grinning.

You didn't find this funny.

You leaned to the right. You looked through the glass windows - at the marble steps. The police should be here any minute now. They'd help you.

Jerome frowned, then spun around to look at what you were staring at. "There's no one where, by the way."

"I know." You answered.

Jerome rose, then waved behind you. "Greenwood! Go secure the station outback."

Your eyebrows furrowed. What were they planning here? Well, you knew that - they were gonna blow up the bank - but what is the station?

"A'ight." Greenwood replied, and you heard his footsteps leave the room.

"Finally," Jerome breathed. "Some alone time." He crouched down in front of you. "That guy is weird."

"Look who's talking." You replied.

Jerome grinned, almost reluctantly. "That was pretty funny. I feel proud."