Chapter 8

I used the railing and got down the stairs.
We walked outside, the three of us.
The whole group was standing close to the door.
As we walked out, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at us, but mostly at what Maggie was holding.
"Rick..." she finally choked out.
"No. No no no no!" he put his head in his hands. A few tears rolled down my cheeks, just watching him.
It hurt me that he lost her. She was a good person. No one can replace her.
Rick got on his knees and hugged Carl who had tears already falling down.
I looked at the ground and watched as my tears fell on the sandy ground.
It has been a few hours since Rick found out about Lori and he hasn't been the same, at all.
I had to care for the baby as everyone was busy doing their own things. I walked around slowly and carefully, as I didn't want to wake her.
I watched as she slept in my arms. It was so peaceful and I wished that it can always be like this.
I felt a presence behind me and carefully turned around.
"Hey." Daryl whispered silently.
"Hi." I whispered back to him. He watched me as I carefully walked around picking things up from the floor.
The baby stirred in my arms and I froze in my spot, facing Daryl on the other side of the room.
She yawned and woke up, slowly opening her big, beautiful eyes.
I smiled at how cute she woke up.
She then made a cute giggling noise that made me lightly laugh.
Then, the door opened and made a big creaking sound and made her start to cry.
"We're back!" Glenn half shouted and half said. He walked towards me.
"Jesus Glenn!" I said and she automatically stopped crying.
"Woah. That was awesome!" he said
"No, that's weird." Daryl spoke up
"I agree with Daryl." I said
"I need someone to hold her while I make her food." I said
"I'm not a baby person." Glenn said putting his hands up in defense.
"Fine, I'll do it." Daryl said walking over to me.
I handed the baby over to Daryl as Glenn walked out the building.
"Not a baby person my butt." I said after Glenn was out of earshot.
"That was a really bad excuse if ya ask me." I said and that made him laugh
"Why do you have to take forever?"  I said to the baby bottle as I walked out of the mini kitchen.
Daryl sat on the stairs with her in his lap. I stopped walking and watched as Daryl played with her. She seemed to like him and he must have found her tickle spot.
I giggle at the sight and wore a big smile. Daryl looked up and immediately stopped.
"You would be a great dad one day." I said while walking to them.
"Nah. She is just tryna fool you to think that." he said
"C'mon now. I don't think she knows how to do that yet." I said as I sat next to him.
"She is only a couple hours old, and already having the time of her life." I told him, still smiling. He was about to pick her up, "Wait. That's not the right way to pick a newborn up. You have to be careful with the neck, and the head of course." I said, showing him how to do it.