Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

     Lillie crossed her arms over her chest stubbornly. "Callie, I'm not a kid. I know Phoenix is dangerous, but I want to help! Besides, he can't hurt me too badly. I have to power of healing, remember? I can heal myself too."

     "But it's dangerous," I protested.

     "Then why are you going?"

     I bit my lip. "That's different. It involves my family, and I'm older-"

     "Oh, because you're 'older' that makes it okay for you to risk your life?" Lillie said, sounding frustrated. "Callie, I can take care of myself. I've been doing it for a while." With that, she turned on her heel and stomped away.

     I watched her go, frozen to the spot. When she was gone, I whirled around and faced Nash. "Why didn't you back me up?"

     Nash looked alarmed. "Look, Calypso, I know Lillie is important to you, but she can take care of herself."

     "She's too young to be doing this," I argued. "She's only twelve for goodness sakes!"

     "You're only four years older than her," Nash pointed out. "Four years isn't much of a difference."

     My shoulders slumped. "I know, but at least I understand that it's dangerous, and I understand what's at stake. She doesn't. he's just doing this for fun."

     "What makes you think she's doing this for fun?" Nash said quietly. "She lost her sister because of Phoenix. I bet she wants to help stop him just as much as you do."

     "But-"

     "No buts, Calypso. Lillie's old enough to take care of herself."

     "So was Lilac, but she still died!" I shouted, but as soon as the words left my mouth, I instantly regretted it. My eyes watered, but I blinked back tears. No, I couldn't be crying. Not now.

     "Calypso," Nash said softly.

     I sat down on the ground, putting my head in my hands. I can't believe I just brought up her death, just like that. She was my best friend. And then she was gone, just like that.

     Nash rubbed my back soothingly. I took a deep breath before standing up again, wiping at my eyes.

     "Come on," I mumbled. "We've got an evil meeting to attend to."

     Nash smiled sympathetically and grabbed my hand. Instantly, we were in front of my mom's house.

     "You okay, Calypso?" Nash questioned.

     I let out a breath. "No, but I have to stay strong." I knocked on the door, and instantly, Evie opened it.

     "Wow, you guys weren't gone very long," she said. "Is it time already?"

     I nodded before stepping into the house. "Mom!"

     "Coming," Mom answered, and I heard hurried footsteps from upstairs.

     I glanced worriedly at the clock. 11:54.

     "I'm ready!" Mom said, running down the stairs. She grabbed her shoes and purse, and stopped in front of me. "Alright you two, get in the car."

     "Can I come?" Evie pleaded, giving Mom the puppy eyes.

     "No," Mom said firmly, so Evie switched her eyes over to me.

     "Pleeeeease Callie?" she begged.

     "No. Phoenix is dangerous, and you don't have any way of protecting yourself," I replied.