Chapter 30

Kaylin's POV

"I'm so sorry, but..." the doctor sighed, "You're-"

"Please don't say Mom." I begged him

He shook his head, "Your Mom's going to make a full recovery. She's just sleeping now."

I breath a sigh of relief, "Can I see her?"

"Um yes, but-"

I didn't let him finish I ran down the hall and glanced through each door to find my mom. I skidded to a halt and ran into a room with off-white wall paper. In the middle of the room sat a bed, and laying on it was Mom. Her chest was moving up and down so that gave me relief I kneeled next to her bed side and grabbed her hand.

"Mom? Mom? Can you hear me?" I asked her squeezing her hand

Slowly her hand closed around mine. I smiled wildly as her eyes fluttered open.

"Kaylin?" she asked looking over at me

"Yea I'm here. Don't worry." I pushed her hand against my cheek, "I thought I lost you."

She smiled, "You just can't wait can you?"

I frowned, "Don't say that."

I helped her sit up and then she looked around the room, "Where's Sam?"

And just as she said that Leila came in her eyes filled with tears.

"Leila? What's wrong?" I asked rushing over to her

"Sam...she's..." Leila took a deep breath, "They don't know if Sam's going to make it."

"What?" I asked wide-eyed, then shook my head, "What happened?"

Leila pointed to the curtain who was hiding the second bed in the room. I pulled back the curtain to see my little sister lying there with tubes and wires hooked up to her, and a fluffy white bandage on the side of her head.

I heard Mom crying too as I kneeled next to Sam's bed, "I know you're strong Sammy, you can get through this. You will get through it."

I felt someone put a hand on my shoulder. I placed my hand over it and smiled sadly at Leila.

"Thank you." I sniffed trying not to cry

Leila pulled a chair over to the side of Sam's bed, and I put my head in her lap. I fell asleep to the feeling of Leila running her fingers through my hair.

Leila's POV

Kaylin fell asleep within minutes. I took one long look at Sam, she looked the same, same black hair, same eyes, but this time her eyes were closed. And we were all afraid that they'll never open again.

I turned slowly, so I didn't wake up Kaylin, to Gena who was crying.

"It wasn't your fault, Gena." I smiled at her, sadly she didn't look up and just kept starring at Sam with teary eyes

"It was. I let her sit up front. She's smaller than the other kids, but she wanted to sit up front. We were running late so I gave in. We were almost home when we came to the stop sign right before our street." she sighed and closed her eyes tears kept falling from them, "It all happened so fast I looked right, no one. I looked left, no one. I look right again, still no one, so I pull out."

"All of a sudden a white car zooms from my right and rams right on...Sam's....door." she choked out, "The other guy was talking on his cell phone and called 911. They came and I was trying to get Sam out, she was unconscious and she wouldn't do anything to tell me that she was alive, except the slight rise and fall of her small chest."