Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Nathan's blue eyes reflected the sun, I could see tiny sparks of gold in them. I was mesmerized.

I remembered how he was the only one I'd run to if I'd get hurt, or scrape my knee, or get called nasty names by other girls in my neighborhood.

In other words, the only thing I ever craved for in my childhood was Nathan's attention. I craved for how safe he'd make me feel. How he was the only friend I ever had.

I felt him clear his throat, I didn't even realize that I was staring blankly into his eyes all this time. I snapped myself out of my childhood day dream and tried to get up, blushing. His strong hands helping me regain my balance, he held my shoulders even after I'd regained most of it. He was starring right into my eyes, almost making me feel like he could see through me, which I never let anyone do, after him.

"Uhm thank you, but you could let go now" I said nervously.

He blinked, and I noticed his face fell. He removed his hands from my shoulders nervously. I looked down thinking that'd make me feel less guilty for being so blunt.

"Sorry I didn't mean to be rude, thank you for saving me from breaking my neck" I smiled, sarcastically. He looked at me expressionless as if he didn't understand what I meant. I motioned my index towards the concrete bench a few inches behind me. Mathematically if I fell, my head would hit the edge of the bench, and I'd break my neck, and probably my back bone too.

His eyes flickered from the bench, to mine. He looked horrified as his mouth formed a small 'o'.

"Oh my god that would've been horrible, I didn't even notice it there before. Are you alright?"

I was stunned by how much he cared for me, it reminded me of his sweet caring self back in the days. I felt my heart sink. I tried to snap myself out of those thoughts, no one's ever cared for me that much before. Until now.

"Uhm yeah I'm fine. Don't worry about me" I replied with a nervous smile.

He's gotten so much bigger. Of course he has how stupid of me. I hadn't seen him in 10 years. His chocolate brown wavey hair reaching a little below his temples, His caramel tanned skin, his perfectly toned body obvious from his stretched t shirt. His luscious pink lips, not to forget those twinkling blue eyes of his with gold sparks, and full arched brows, frowning.

I snapped back to reality. What has gotten into me!

He was frowning like he was thinking about something really deep, he quickly tried to change his expression and seem calm, but his effort was noticeable.

"Uh, I'm Nathan by the way" He said smiling, and proceeded his hand towards me for a handshake.

I know you idiot! We were best fucking friends. Wait, does he not know that I'm Rachel? Does he not recognize me? Or did he just forget who I am. My heart clenched at the thought of him forgetting who I was. Why would he even remember you? A small voice from inside my head said. Who ever does? I felt my eyes moisten. I stared at him, dumbfounded.

"Rachel" I said sheepishly, shaking his hand. I felt my heart clench again, and my breath quickened at our touch. All the memories from our childhood shot back at me. All those happy moments, then came along the sad memories, of when he had left.

I stared down at our hands, avoiding his burning gaze. Why isn't he letting go of my hand?

I made a lame attempt at freeing my hand from his grip. It was like he immediately realized that he was holding my hand, for like forever. His hands immediately shot back. I looked at him and saw his cheeks redden. Was he embarrassed?