Saying Goodbye

I walked over to my normal spot in the sun. It was lunch and my friends, Sophia, Gabriel, and Esteban walked with me. I dropped my backpack and sat down. I put my leather jacket next to me.

"Guess what," Esteban said.

"What," Sophia asked.

Before Esteban could say anything, we heard a familiar voice. It was my friend best friend, Livia.

"Hey guys," she yelled, running over.

Livia had been absent for a long time and there had been rumors that she was moving schools. I stood up and bolted over to her. While the others asked her multiple questions about where she had been for these two long months, I only had one question.

"Are you leaving the school," I asked. I saw the look on her face a split second before she answered.

"Yes," she replied sadly.

The others gasped and I looked at her for a moment. Then I gave her a hug.

"My dad brought cookies," she said slowly.

The others all started yelling their excitement, but I could not bring myself too. I couldn't believe it. My best friend was leaving. I would no longer see her every day. I would no longer hear her laugh in the morning, making me laugh as well. I walked with them to the lunch arbor, where her dad had bags of cookies. I hung back, still dumbfounded, as they all got little bags of cookies. Livia's dad beckoned to me. He handed me a chinese to-go box full of cookies.

"Share some with your parents. Or don't," he said with a smile.

Livia handed me three sticky notes.

"Give these to Justin, Cameron, and Daniel. They have my number on them," she said.

I nodded. We started walking to where the boys played wall ball with a few friends. I handed the boys their sticky notes and started spacing out.

Livia, leaving?! How will I cope?! What am I going to do without her?! I thought, panicking. I could feel tears coming on.

"This is the only time you will ever see me cry. Savor it," I said to Gabriel. He doubled over laughing.

"Damn, Damn, Damn. Damn it all." I said as tears started flowing. I wiped them off furiously. I didn't want anybody to see me cry. Not the boys, not Sophia, nobody. Nobody but Livia.

The bell rang and we started walking towards our classes.

"Bye," I said to Livia, giving her a hug.

She walked off with her sister and dad. I grabbed my backpack and Sophia grabbed hers. The others walked to their separate classes. I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks. Sophia and I walked in silence. I was sobbing. We reached my class and my teacher, Ms Teixeira gave me a questioning look.

"What's wrong," she asked. I couldn't answer. I was crying too hard. Sophia explained for me.

"Would you like to go to the bathroom," Ms. Teixeira asked. I shook my head.

I walked in, grabbed my computer and took a seat. A few students asked me why I was crying, but I ignored them all. I tried to stop crying, but couldn't. It was overwhelming. The stares, the questions, the sadness. I banged my head down onto my arms. The teacher looked up.

"Would you like to go to the counselor's or the bathroom," she asked gently.

"Yeah, after I login to my computer," I replied slowly. I was trying to stall, trying to stop crying. I logged in to my computer, but waited a few moments.

I suddenly stood up and walked out. A few of my classmates glanced at me.

When I got out of the bathroom, still crying, I walked back towards my class. Ms. Belle, a language teacher at the school, stopped me.

"What's wrong," she asked me.

"M-my best friend is... leaving... the... school," I choked out.

"Oh, Livia? I just saw her. I'm sorry," She said.

She gave me a pat on the shoulder and walked away. I kept walking until I heard my name being called.