Chapter One

"There is no place like home."
The Wonderous Wizard of Oz

- - - - - - - - - -

The chilly air dropped soft white snow from the sky. My only thoughts of this place were how dull it was. Sure, our place back in Texas was boring, but here it was literally dull. I could only see gray across the Kansas plains. It was like something straight out of the Wizard of Oz or something.

My ears were burning from the harsh dropping temperatures. My fingers felt stiff till all I could do was ball my hands into fists in my pockets. Even then, that didn't do much to help.

But I would rather endure this cold than help my mom unpack. I didn't even want to be in this stupid place anyway. Who asked me if I wanted to move? Who asked me if I wanted to give up the life I had?? Who asked me if I wanted to leave all my friends for 2 and a half years without me???

I ended up taking a deep breath in order to calm myself. All of her actions were infuriating! But I was technically not of legal age to make my own decisions. I had less than three years to go before I turned 18. At that point I'd likely get adjusted to this stupid little town by then, though.

I looked up the steps as a clanging noise spilled from the windows and open door of the house. I don't know why we had to get such a big house. It's just the two of us: me and Mom against the world.

I looked back down at my feet and the white powder melting against my black boots. I soon found my self entranced in shuffling my feet across the blanket of snow. 

"Cloe! I could use a little help in here!"

With a frown I looked up from my feet and found myself glaring at my mother. She stood in the doorway, her hands propped on her hips. She wasn't wearing any winter wear, too, so I could see her shivering as she tried to steel herself from the cold.

I stubbornly ignored her.

"Now's not time for silent treatment. We need to get unpackin'."

Again, I didn't reply to her. Of course I was giving her the silent treatment! She dragged my from my home without questioning me on my opinion whatsoever. She didn't even give me a reason why we moved.

Mom gave me her signature 'stop with the attitude, young lady' look, but I grew out of fearing it a while ago.

I still wasn't done with being mad at her. I knew eventually that I'd get over it. Right now I wasn't in the mood for that.

Mom tried to hide her sigh, but I picked it up. "Look, I know you're mad at me-"

"I'm going for a walk," I interrupted rudely. I didn't want to listen to her excuses. Besides, it looked like I would spend at least the rest of my high school education in this place. Might as well know my way around.

I found myself wandering around aimlessly. The majority of the town was just farms, really. Just farms and little shops, with older people strolling lazily along the small streets. There didn't seen to be many other kids my age out here. My luck just couldn't get any better.

I was used to living in a smaller town, so I was glad we didn't move to some big city or something. Even then, this place was tiny! I couldn't even see a school anywhere, and the streets were so barren. Why did Mom pick a place like this to move?

The harping call of a bird caught my attention. I looked up to a small dead tree in front of me. Perched on the scraggly, bony gray branches sat a crow. Why would a crow be out here in the open, when birds should have flown south for winter?

Its feathers were sleek and ebony black, and its eyes were like dark marble. I could see myself in their reflection, which instantly weirded me out. It sat eerily still and watched me with an intrigued glare.

"Not used to seeing newbies 'round here, are yah?" I asked the crow in a bored tone. I looked around me to see if anyone saw. I didn't want to be known as the strange new girl with a Texas twang who speaks to birds. Just 'the new girl with the twang' works.

When I looked up, the crow was gone. But the tree was still not bare. Where the black bird had perched a red and white candy cane lay delicately balanced on its hook. I swore I hadn't seen it before, that it had just appeared. Rightfully so, my senses told me to leave it.

But some stupid part of my brain was overwhelmed with curiosity, and told me to grab it. And I did, against my good judgement. Now holding this candy cane in my hand and thoroughly freaked out by whatever just happened, I walked to the house.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wooh, new story. I love the wizard of Oz, and I love those books and movies that retell original fairy tales with modern twists. I felt to do the same, I guess.

I've worked on fanfiction stories before (for Wings of Fire Fantribes and Warriors Fanclans) but I never felt the need to complete them, or how to complete them. I hope that since this isn't relying on any pre-existing fandom that this will be different. Plus, I've never actually written more than a short story for class in first person. This will be interesting and different for me, to say the least.

I don't expect there to be any schedule for these chapters coming out, haha. It really just depends on how creative I'm feeling, more or less. But I will try to leave notes like this at the end, if you guys want. Or I won't depending on if you want to read my rambling at the end of every chapter, and would rather just enjoy the story XD

Anyway, I'll leave this here~ I hope you readers enjoy it and spread it around ^~^