Chapter 2

I watched from the window as woman, men, and a few children ran out from tents. Rick jumped out of the car, as did the others, bringing bags filled with anything they could find. I frowned. They must have grabbed what was left while Rick and I held our brief conversation. I watched as Rick explained something to the group, pointing at the car, then talking some more. Finally, after talking with the group, most likely explaining about how they found me, he turned to the car and motioned for me to step out.

I opened the door cautiously, stepping out and slamming the car's green metal door shut. I stared at my feet and fixed my crossbow that hung around my shoulder before taking my first step to the gathered group. Gravel crunched under foot, echoing loudly in the silence that followed my appearance. I stopped a few feet from everyone and looked up warily, my blue eyes sparkling in the moonlight.  

"Guys, this is Faith." Rick introduced. I heard Merle snort, along with a grunt of pain and looked in his direction to see a younger man, around my age, elbowing him in the gut. I tilted my head curiously in their direction. "Faith, this is my wife, Lori, and our son Carl." I nodded respectfully at them, my attention leaving the men at the end of the group. "This is Shane. You know Andrea, this is her sister Amy. This is Ed, his wife Carol, and their daughter Sophia." Rick walked down the line, pointing and saying people's names. "This is Dale, Jackie, T-dog, Glenn." He introduced. soon he was standing in front of me, so I followed him down to last two people. They were standing a little ways away from the group. "And you already met Merle." I grimaced and nodded. "This is his brother, Daryl." Rick finished. 

I frowned slightly. So that's his name. Daryl. It fits him. I scanned his body, nodding slightly. 

"Looky what we got here! Seems Weakling here has an eye out for my baby brother!" Merle announced. He left Daryl's side and approached me, getting in my face. "Stay away from him. He doesn't need to get soft, nor does he need to throw his life away for some woman that will probably die within the next week." Merle said lowly, but loud enough for people around us to hear.

My gaze hardened at him. "I don't see how that is your decision." My voice matched the low tone of his. Merle opened his mouth but I turned around, not wanting to listen to him downsize me again. I got two steps away from his before a strong hand clamped down on my bicep. I stiffened, the person, a man, spinning me around. 

"You don't turn away from me until I am done speaking to you!" Merle shouted at me.

I stared at him. "Again, I do not see how that is your decision. You do not control my body. Only I do. So, release me, or would you like me to force my way out?" I asked.

"I'd like to see you try." He growled.

"Merle, I don't think-" Daryl started.

My expression changed, my eyes gaining a dangerous glint in them. I smirked "You got it." I lifted up my leg, and smashed his foot, putting all my weight into it. He yelped, his grip loosening on my arm. I yanked it from his grip before delivering a quick uppercut, hearing the crunch of his jaw. He forgot his foot, cupping his jaw carefully. I grabbed his left arm, shoving it behind his back and up his shoulder blades. I quickly spun around, dodging the punch he threw in my direction. I came up to his front, kicking him in his sensitive area. He went down soon after that. 

"That is why you don't judge a person by their looks." I whispered to Merle.

"I wasn't ready." He groaned. Adrenaline was still pumping through my body as I stood, my breath coming in short gasps and blood trickling from cuts on my knuckles. I blinked, only then coming back to my mind. I looked down at Merle and gasped. 

"This is why I don't join groups." I said to Rick. "I'll be gone before morning." I added. I grabbed my stuff I somehow discarded before the fight. I stepped around the crumpled form of Merle on the ground. "Sorry about your brother." I said to Daryl on my way past.