Chapter 1: Take off

"This is Epsilon-5, requesting permission to take off." Said Paul Sigmund, the current captain. The speakers emitted a static, then a voice responded with "You are cleared, take off when ready." The speakers shut off, and the door to the hallway slid open and a woman walked into the cockpit and sat next to Paul. Paul said "Jane, good you're here." Jane responded "Of course I am, I'm the first officer, why wouldn't I be here?"
"Well is everyone ready for take off?" Asked Paul. "I'll check." She pressed a button and spoke into a microphone "We are cleared for take off, is everyone ready?" In the cargo bay two men strapped down the last crate and the one named John said "Well will this hold the crates? It would be devastating if they broke open during flight." The other, named Akiro responded with " I'm just the doctor not the engineer like you, but I'd say it'll hold." Then the intercom turned on and Janes voice spoke " We are cleared for take off, is everyone ready?" John walked over to a slanted table with buttons on the surface and a microphone protruding from the table, John pressed a button and spoke into the microphone saying "This is John, the cargo is secured, Akiro and I are ready." Elsewhere in one of the crew cabins a bulky man lay in bed, when the intercom spoke " We are cleared for take off, is everyone ready?" The man rose and walked over to the speaker on the wall and spoke into it "This is security member Luke, I'm ready." Back in the cockpit Jane and Paul hear that everyone is ready and Paul spoke into the intercom saying "Prepare for take off, please strap into the nearest seat until further notice." And Paul grabs hold of a joystick and Jane presses a few buttons and flicks some switches. The ships engines ignited and the ship rumbled and lifted off the ground and flew out the hanger into the endless night that is space.