Chapter 12 || The Ability To Sleep Anywhere

Start from the beginning

Conrad chuckles loudly, falling easily in line with us, but as soon as he sobers us, I see the wickedness in his eyes, "Perhaps, she's just the thorn you've been needing?"

I decide not to engage, knowing anything I say will only further their comments at my expense, and fighting either of them, even for game, would be out of the question. James is not a man I would ever want as a foe. He is swift with a sword. A man would still think he was alive until his body suddenly splits in two.

"We are, but a morning's ride from Ramila," Conrad informs us, and I take that as the hint that it is time for a short rest. 

"Fine, we set up here," I say pointing to the woods, and they both agree. "I'll take first watch," I decided to which they both happily nod, finding a spot to doze for a short time. I dismount from Frea, and tie her reins on a nearby branch. I'm about to just leave her, but then I think about what Ember said, and find myself petting her nose. "Nicely done, girl," I whisper to the horse, as though she can talk, and to my utter dismay, she nudges me with her snout. I find myself rubbing my hand her face, before handing her some of the carrots, Ember placed in my satchel. When I look back, I find both the men are already asleep. A trait learned over time: the ability to sleep anywhere quickly. A trait I have never had to master, thanks to my title. I find a log and lean against it, keeping my sword in hand, I watch our surrounding. 

Conrad snores sound like a bear ready to attack, and I can't help, but laugh at the sounds emitting from him. James doesn't seem too bothered by it, he is curled up in a ball. Looking at them now, it's hard to picture them as deadly. Similar to another innocent I know, what the hell! I scream internally as yet again, she enters my mind. I stand in frustration, trying to get any thought of her out of my head. I am on a mission, I can't be distracted by anything. 

When it's been a few hours, I poke Conrad awake, not wanting to have to fight my way to sleep with him snoring beside me. He groans, but wakes up quickly going to the log I was just residing in front of, and taking his post. "See you in the morn," he calls, and I nod, before finding a soft spot on the ground. How they were able to just fall right to sleep is beyond me? There are sticks poking into my back, and it's too damn cold out here to find peace. I end up rolling over and draping my arm over my face. I pretend I'm back in Ember's home. The bed was hard to sleep on, but it was acres more bearable than this, so I try to imagine that is where I am, and soon enough the sweet blackness of sleep is evading my vision. 

< - - - - - - - - - - - - >

Hey, fellow Bookworms!

I really hope you liked the chapter

I really hope you liked the chapter. I have revised the storyline, so it is more coherent with the chapters later in the book.

|| Picture || A more accurate image of James. This image and the last were from Fellandfair, which if you are looking for inspiration for any kind of fantasy writings or historical fiction like mine, it is the perfect place to find images! 

|| Music || Bruises by Lewis Capaldi

★ I would love to hear your thoughts feel free to drop a comment below. If you did enjoy the chapter, be to make my day and click that star! Thank you for reading! ★

You are loved!

Love,

Yerd213