Dream Seeker-Chapter Ten

Začít od začátku

"In that case, how do you explain my father, the servants and the tenants that come to call at the door? Are they all figments of my imagination, is everything I see nothing but an illusion? I refuse to believe that, and now you must go. You are even more ludicrous than the others." She picked up the cross and threw it back at her.

Marie caught the cross and shook her head. "You refuse to face your own fears, but you know the truth."

"Leave me alone. I see the truth very clearly. My illness has prevented me from leaving this room, but I know very well what lies beyond it. I do not need a gypsy witch like you to tell me what is real and what is not."

"Who are you?" Marie asked calmly.

"How can you ask me such a stupid question?" She could feel her heart slamming against her chest.

"What is your name?"

She had to think carefully before she said: "Miss Palmer."

"What is your first name?"

She looked up at Marie. "I don't know."

Marie smiled. "Gael."

"Gael Palmer." She pronounced the words, but they did not feel right on her tongue. "Gael Wilson." Her mind quickly expanded, opening a new vault of memories, and her eyes filled with tears. She had forgotten her own identity.

"You remember now." Marie said. "Gael Wilson is real. The people here have led you to believe that you dream it all, that you have lost your sanity or that you are possessed by an evil spirit. All of it is nonsense. The longer you stay here, the more you forget."

"How long have I been in here?"

Marie bowed her head. "Two months," she murmured.

"How many attempts have you made to get me to remember?"

Marie looked up, her eyes streaming. "Five."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following night, David climbed out of a carriage and made his way through the garden of the eerie Palmer Mansion. He knocked twice on the servant's door. Marie opened it, beaming at him.

"She remembered," she said.

He raised an eyebrow. "About time," he said. "Is she ready?" His hands remained inside his coat pockets, and a mist of warm air came out of his mouth as he spoke.

She turned her eyes to the house. "I don't think she's completely herself again."

He considered for a moment. "I don't think we can wait much longer."

"Well, I don't think it's a good idea to get her out of the house until she fully understands who she is and what we're doing. Her amnesia is worse than what we imagined."

"You seem to forget, I was the one who recommended you to this Lord Palmer guy under the pretense of being a doctor. I know what state she's s in. Nothing good can come out of being stuck in that house."

"She will be fine, but she needs time to recover her memories."

David shook his head. He didn't want to wait. He knew darned well what the walls of that mansion where designed for, they were built to keep out Gael's memories of the rift. As soon as the air was clear, she would revert to a state of amnesia, despite any progress made. The one thing they could do for her was to get her out of the mansion, into the opening, where it would be difficult to plunge into a false identity.

"What good would it do if she has a mental break down? She seems edgy, anyway." Marie inquired, resentfully.

"There is nothing we can do about that," he said." Get her out of there. I will be waiting for you in the carriage." He said turning around and stomping off.