Chapter 3: Secrets Behind the Lock and Key

Start from the beginning

A light slumber that would only remain so for a minute or two, for the next thing she knew something wet, and ice cold had hit the back of her head.

"What in the world—" Turning around slowly, the girl gasped when another blinding object flew at her face, hitting her square in the nose and dropping down to the bed. Untangling herself, Lauren examined the remnants only to realize it was packed snow. Her head shot up, just in time for a third snowball to come sailing at her face.

"Camila!" The girl shouted, holding her arms out at the last minute to hit the snowball away and break it apart. "What the hell are you doing?! Stop!"

"Get up." Camila smirked, standing at the other side of the room with one freshly packed snowball in her left hand, and another wound up and ready to go in her right. "Or you're going in for a chilly lesson from Frosty and his twin brother."

"Okay, alright!" Lauren scrambled into a sitting position, inching around the puddle of ice cold water that had now accumulated on her sheets. Holding her hands up in surrender, she rose to her feet and yawned. "I'm up, I'll get ready."

"Good." Camila smiled sweetly. "You better. Because I come from a small town up north, which means that I can aim a snowball like a boss."

"I can aim a snowball like a boss." Lauren mocked, lifting her voice a few octaves as she walked past the brunette to get to the bathroom. "I'm Camila, I'm so great, I'm so pretty, I'm so smart, everyone loooves me."

The green eyed girl nearly jumped out of her skin when another ball of packed snow hit her square int he side of her head, the remnants slipping down the hem of her t-shirt and melting down her body. "Fuck!" She swore, whipping around and glaring at the brunette. "What the hell was that?"

"Never mock the solider with the ammo supply." Camila shrugged, her smile not leaving her face.

"You're such a little piece of—" Lauren lunged forward and grabbed Camila's wrist, twisting her arm and forcing what was left of the last snowball out of her hand before stuffing it down the hem of her shirt. Camila screamed, backing up against the wall and sliding down to curl herself up. Lauren followed, crushing the snow in her hands and making sure to really spread the winter spirit.

After hauling some clothes on, and dragging her exhausted body up to the second floor, Lauren came face to face with three of her roommates sitting around the living room, dressed and ready to receive. She frowned, noticing that Camila was just now jogging down from the upper floor with a new top on and a jacket draped over her forearm.

"Are you four going out?" The girl questioned, migrating towards the table and pulling out some notes from the night before.

"Yeah." Dinah nodded excitedly. "We're finally going to brunch."

"Brunch?!" Lauren spun around, the papers in her hand flying up like the world's most nerdy confetti shower. "You guys are actually going to brunch without me?!"

"Lauren, you have an exam." Ally laughed from where she was perched on the arm of the couch, digging through a small purse. "I think that's a little more important than all-you-can-eat eggs benedict."

"Do you even hear yourself?!" Lauren sagged back against the table.

"Oh stop." Camila traversed the living room, crouching down and gathering the papers up. "You know we can always go out another time. Here, let me quiz you on some of the stuff before you leave."

"No thanks." Lauren swiped the papers away from her with a scowl. "I'm just going to go."

"Aw, come on Lauren, don't be like that." Dinah sang from the couch, a glimmer of amusement in her voice. "Is this what always happens when we wake you up before eleven?"