Chapter 11 || You Alone Can Help

Beginne am Anfang

I'm about to call a guard because we have an imposter. I stare at him speculating his real reason for wanting to help me, "Why?" I ask when I come up dry.

He's stance chances as he lifts his head a little higher, "I'm the Prince, I don't need a reason." 

"Correction, the prince is lying sick in a bed. You are a common prat walking around," I correct him, smiling in satisfaction, as his face twists into a look of annoyance. 

"Fine," he huffs. "I can take the stupid cloak off here," he says, taking the hood off, and I see the light bit of scruff growing around his lips and chin. Then, he does the same thing he did yesterday. He looks down for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck, before adding" Besides, I do want to help you. I realize how much you have done for me." I'm stunned. This is not Luca. I think I caught a few flies in my mouth keeping it so wide in shock. He walked towards me, easily, a smile playing on his lips as he closes my mouth using his index finger. "I like being the one that leaves you speechless once and in a while. Especially, because you do the same to me frequently," he chuckles.

I shake my head and take a step back, trying to hide the heat in my cheeks. "Um, okay, you can help. Leave the cloak over there," I say, pointing to the hooks, and he does. When he turns back I can't help, but notice that his hair has curled a bit on the ends from sleep. "I'm just brushing them, now," I inform him, handing him one of the extra brushes. 

"Got it," he states, walking into Delc's stall. I don't think too much of it until I hear whines coming from the stall he's in. 

"What are you doing to the poor horse?" I call, walking into the stall only to see him brushing harshly against the horse's body. If it wasn't for the fact that Delc is tied he would have bucked Luca.

"I'm brushing him," he states, as though it's obvious, and I want to bang my head against the post. 

"You've never brushed a horse," I ask, confusion in my voice. "But you own at least three?"

"Yes, but you take care of them," he reminds me, and I feel a bang of regret for not simply teaching him before he went off. I should've known. He is like a child when it comes to the real world.

"Alright, move over," I order, getting closer to the horse, gently rubbing my hand across his back, soothing him in the process. "He is not your horse, so you must introduce yourself first. Give me your hand." After a moment, he lays his hand out for me to take. I try not to think of the way his hand makes mine feel so small. I bring him in front of Delc. "Say hello," I instruct, but Luca gives me a look of bewilderment. 

"Uh, Ember he's a horse. I'm not going to speak to a horse." 

"Luca, say hello to the horse," I repeat, and I lift his hand in front of Delc.

His brows lower, but then I hear. "Hello?" There is a question in his voice, and I nod to Delc, who gently places his nose against Luca. I begin moving Luca's hand softly on Delc's nose, so it seems as though Luca is petting him. I see the way Delc is enjoying it and look up to see the happiness in Luca's eyes as well. There is a look of wonder on his face that I've never seen before and it's captivating. I realize my hand hasn't left Luca's and pull away. I need to leave this. 

Slipping out from between them, I instruct, "Now, take the brush, and show it to him." Luca does without hesitation. "You must respect him, and care for him in order for him to trust you, but once he does he will be loyal to you till the end," I tell Luca, while I move on to rubbing Delc's beautiful big head. I move into place a kiss between his eyes, as I usually do. He moves his head and sniffs my hair, trying to chew on a few strands, and I laugh, as does Luca.