11: Presentation

QUEENIE
"Good morning, Madam," Queenie curtsied.
"Good morning, Miss Goldstein. Miss Goldstein," Piquery nodded at each of them.
"We have prepared a presentation for you that explains our view on passing the law of wizard-no-maj fraternization. We hope you will find it instructive."
"No-maj-wizard fraternization?" Piquery raised an eyebrow. "I'm listening."
"This is the number of New Salem headquarters throughout the country last year," Queenie pointed to a map of the United States, with about fifteen red dots on it. "The number was small to begin with, but since we wiped their chief headquarters out of the picture, they have declined rapidly. There are now only," she flipped a page. "Six operating headquarters in the United States."
"Are you sure about that?" Piquery asked. "Last time I was notified, which was last week, I was told there were eight."
"We are completely sure, Madam," Tina countered. "All the highly-trained Aurors throughout the country have confirmed that they have searched the matter to the best of their abilities, which is saying a lot, in my opinion. In America, we only hire the best."
"Indeed," Piquery agreed.
"Apart from the New Salem's plummeting popularity, I can verify that there have been increasing cases of illegal no-maj-wizard fraternization across America. We believe that this is due to the fact that sometimes no-majs are just more attractive personality-wise. There is also the matter of obscurials," Queenie paused, allowing the dramatic silence to take its tol for a moment. "Obscurials are most of the time born to a set if no-maj parents, experts have informed us."
"Experts?" Madam Piquery said keenly.
"Newton Scamander," Tina said, somewhat proudly.
"Ah, that one," Madam Piquery said distastefully. Tina was about to defend, but Queenie cut her off before she could start.
"Yes, Madam, the same. He was actually studying Obscurials at the time he was in America, and knows considerably more about them than most, though we would never doubt that there are many wise councils in charge."
"Hm... I see," Piquery said.
"Anyway, if we have more wizard- no-maj ties throughout America, wizards would be able to find young wizards before they are unlucky enough to become obscurials," Tina reasoned.
Queenie and Tina kept pointing out things, subtly complimenting here and there, like Newt had suggested. By the time the hour was up, Madam Piquery was deep in thought on the matter. That was exactly what Queenie hoped would happen; the President was considering. There was hope. There was hope.
"Thank you for your time, Madam President," Queenie said.
"Thank you," was Piquery's response. Tina and Queenie left the room.
"Well, now that we've done our best, there's nothing we can do but wait," Tina said grudgingly.
And wait they did. One week passed, then two. By the third week Queenie was becoming progressively more agitated. As February rolled on to March, and Tina kept exchanging letters with Newt, and the weather was starting to warm somewhat, Queenie's mood did not lighten. She felt tense all the time, but still tried to smile and laugh for other's expense.
Finally, by the end of the third week, an owl arrived in the morning while Tina was eating breakfast. It landed on her plate and startled her so much that she choked on her toast.
"Anapneo!" Queenie jumped.
"Thanks," Tina gasped and coughed. Queenie watched as her panic subsided, which was really very interesting. It was like watching a rolling, story sea go as smooth as glass in an instant.
"No problem," Queenie said distractedly as she took the letter off the bird's ankle. It took off through the window, blowing fragments of toast off Tina's plate with a whoosh of its wings.
"It's from MACUSA!" Queenie yelped, tearing it open. Tina gasped again, but this time because of excitement, not toast crumbs. Queenie began to read:
"Dear Miss Goldsteins:
Your presence is requested in President Piquery's office this morning at eleven o'clock, no later. We look forward to seeing you there.
-High Council."
"Today's the day, Queenie," Tina said nervously. "We'd better hurry."
"Yeah," Queenie said, grabbing a light coat. "Yeah, you're right. It's already ten."
The sisters raced to MACUSA, their hearts beating fast even though there were fifteen minutes to spare. They Apparated right iutsied the doors, and entered briskly, practically sprinting to Piquery's office. When they finally got there, Tina cast a charm to help them catch their breath before they went in. It was 10:56 as Queenie opened the doors with shaking hands.
Lining a long, dark, oak table to the side of the room were fifteen serious-looking men and women. All their heads turned to Queenie snd Tina as they walked in. They both must have looked more confident than they felt, for Madam Piquery gestured them graciously to the table.
"Welcome, ladies," she said."Please, help yourself to the pastries."
"Thank you, Madam President," Queenie said, though she did not eat any. The President stood.
"The purpose of our meeting today," she began. "is to discuss a law we had been considering for a while before New Salem became popular. These women have suggested that we pass a law on wizard-no-maj fraternization."
There were mutterings at the table. Queenie saw a lot of doubt, but she did see a few people considering.
"It may seem strange, but now that New Salem has been almost completely wiped out of the picture, I think we should start anew. Miss Goldstein here also pointed out something else. Experts say obscurials are most often born to non-magical parents. Therefore, if wizards are mixed into the no-maj community more thoroughly, we might be able to recognize young wizards and witches before they become Obscurials. Do you not agree?"
Queenie felt more hopeful as many minds realized that she was right, and some more started to consider that maybe it would be a nice, practical change. Madam Piquery continued to repeat the points that they had made (Tina grinned a little every time she referred to Newt as an expert.) Queenie kept an eye on everyone's minds, and by the time Madam Piquery had sat back down, only two were still doubtful.
"Is it settled then? All in favor of forgetting the law?" The two people raised their hands.
"All in favor of passing the law?" Twelve hands reached into the air, including Madam Piquery's. "Very well," she said. Then, she spoke louder, and a quill started to write on a floating piece of parchment as she talked. "Let it be known that as of the third of March, 1927, every magical citizen of the United States of America may legally marry or befriend any non-magical citizen."
When they were dismissed, and she had made it safely back to her office cubicle, Queenie decided that she deserved a treat. Possibly, a treat from a local bakery.