Introduction: Welcome to Seminole High

• Dedicated to My Nee-chan, Sara Stiehler

Not knowing what to expect, I picked up my bag and looked out into the parking-lot of the hotel.  Walking out the door and into the bright sun, I grimaced at the brightness.  Casually using my arm as a visor, I began to walk along the street, following the signs until reaching my destination.  I wiped my brow and stood there, looking the area before me over several times.

I am Alex Hargrove.  I’m 14 years old, and a new transfer student from New Hamphire.  The reason I’m here in Florida, is to try to get a hold of my life, and dreams.  I left home about a week ago, and packed my bags after deciding to transfer somewhere else.  Things weren’t so good at home.  Parents were at each other’s throats, and my sisters were to busy to do anything about it.  So I simply told them I was leaving to finish my education, and then left in the hopes things would heal themselves.  So now, I was here.  Standing at the doors of my new life.  So...

“...This is Seminole High...” I muttered to myself.

It was simple building, tall and looking slightly threatening to any newbie that were stand in front of it.  Scratching my head, I looked around to get my bearings.  Frowning, I entered the building and continued to wander around, attempting to find the main office.  Eventually, I just gave up.  I was hopelessly lost.

“Strange...Hmm.  Where am I supposed to go now?”

Scrounging around in my pocket, I attempted to find the small piece of paper, on which I had written my classes, and drawn a simple map of the school.  Finally withdrawing it from the depths of my pocket, I examined it to find that the paper had become worn and tattered.

‘Shoot...’

Looking around again, I read ever sign I saw and every locker number in the hopes of finding some sort of directory.  Reading a clock hung next to an opposing door, I turned chalk white.  7:52 am.  Watching the second hand slowly move around the clock, I continued to steadily walk down the hall.

‘56..57...58...59...60’

As if on cue, the doors flew open as first period ended, and the students streamed out of the classrooms like water breaking through a dam, and now relieving the pressure built up after time.  Realising that I was “going against the grain,” I attempted to blend, but utterly failed.  Tripping on almost everything there was, I eventually planted my face into the cold floor of the hall.  I sat up and rubbed my nose.

“Oww....” I muttered squeezing my eyes shut in pain.

“Are you okay?” a voice said from behind him.  Turning around, I found myself looking up into the face of an unknown female student.  She was mid-height, long blond curly hair, blue eyes, and wearing a simple tee and skirt.  “Are you okay?” she asked again.

“Huh? Ah.  Yeah.  I’m fine.” I stood up and quickly found I was a lot taller than her.  “Woah.  I didn’t realize I was this tall...”  I smiled, and looked down at the girl.  She was pouting slightly.

“Don’t call me short!”

“I didn’t!  I didn’t mean to at least.  Please forgive me, ma’am.”

“Huh?  Uh.  Okay.” she said quite innocently.

“Um.  If you don’t mind me asking...could you please point me in the direction of the office?” I asked smiling like an idiot.

“Eh?  The office?  This way!” she turned around excitedly, grabbing my wrist in the process.

“Huh?  Ah, Hey...WAHHHHH!!!!” but before I could finish, the girl was charging down the hall, dragging me behind her.

After a series of twists and turns and nearly hitting a few random people, I was literally dropped outside the office door.

“Well, here you are!” the girl proclaimed as I sat up, rubbing my head.

“Ah...Thanks.  You really helped me out there,” I smiled broadly, and stood up.  “Well, see you ‘round!”  And waving, I entered the office as the girl ran off i the other direction.

After several minutes of being lectured about tardiness and responsibility, I was sent off into the hall, and told to find my way around.  Looking at the map I was given, I began to really walk around aimlessly, hoping to stumble upon the correct room.  As I wander the long halls, I couldn’t help but think one thing.

‘Who was that girl, and what else am I in store for today?’