Chapter Two - Royalty Returns

Start from the beginning

'Really?' Maisie asked, a light blush colouring her cheeks.

'Sure, it's one of my favourite memories, I think,' Matt told her.

'Oh stop,' she teased, giving him a light shove. 'How long are you in town for?'

'However long I want, really. How long are you in town?'

'Oh, I'm just visiting a friend in Juneau, thought I'd pop on over and visit...' she said with a warm smile. Matt could see her eyes clouding slightly, like most people's did when they told a lie, or at least omitted the truth.

'I'm so sorry, are you waiting for someone? I just sat down and rudely interrupted, so rude, you must think I was raised by wolves,' he said, messing up his curls. She bit her lip slightly at the gesture.

'Not at all, please, I came to see you, in all honesty,'

'Really?'

'Yeah, would you maybe consider having dinner with me tonight?' she asked, looking him in the eyes for only the third time. She seemed lost in the colour.

'Yes, yes of course! There's nowhere really fancy here in Hoonah, but the pizza's good?' Matt offered, and she nodded.

'That sounds good, I'll meet you there at around six or so?' she asked, pulling on her gloves. Matt nodded, probably a little too enthusiastic.

'Yeah, six, it's a date!' he added, inwardly cringing at his own words.

Maisie gave him a small, knowing smile. 'It's a date!'

#

'You're kidding me?' Kenny confirmed, and Matt just shrugged. 'She came all the way to bloody Hoonah, from New York, after four years, just to see you?

'Apparently... hey you got any gum?'

Kenny handed him some chewing gum without saying anything, too stunned by his friends incredible luck.

'And if this doesn't go as planned, you don't mind me crashing on your couch?'

'Mate, if you crash on my couch it'll mean that the natural order of the world has been restored!'

'Excuse me,' Matt said, mock offended. 'I am quite the catch.'

'Sure thing, Casanova,' Kenny said, shoving his friend towards the local restaurant. 'I'll let your family know you're staying out,'

Matt thanked his friend, took a deep breath and headed in. He deflated a little when he realised she wasn't actually there yet, but he got them a nice, secluded table in the back and ordered himself a drink.

She burst in maybe twenty minutes later in a flurry of snow and whispered curse words, her scarf pulled up over her nose.

'I'm sorry I'm late,' she muttered, dropping into the chair opposite him. 'It's just a tad chilly here for my liking I think,'

'It's all good,' Matt told her. 'Pizza will warm you in no time,'

They ordered a half/half pizza to share, and just chatted lightly while they waited for it to arrive. Only then did the conversation lull as they enjoyed the hot cheesy goodness.

'So,' Maisie asked, setting her piece down on her plate so she could wipe her hands. 'Actually how old are you, Matt?'

'35,' Matt replied hesitantly. She quirked a perfect eyebrow.

'Wow, okay. Age gaps are in, right?' she replied, a small smirk playing on her lips.

'Totally,' Matt agreed. Her phone buzzed, face down on the table. She smiled apologetically and checked the message. She stuck it in her pocket without replying and took a deep breath.